SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    what can you carry for protection while traveling?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what can you carry for protection while traveling? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Wasp and hornet spray 30 feet of pure hell to the person who takes a face full. They have to seek medical attention. Easy to explain too "I happened to have it in the car and grabbed for it in desperation"

Posts: 436 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: January 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
Travel with a retired LEO (fed licensed to carry) Big Grin

Posts: 2403 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Pepper is a travelers friend.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8045
III

"He's a Mean Motor Scooter & a Bad Go Getter !"

Posts: 5269 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Pepper is a travelers friend.

Except you can't take it on a plane in your checked bag unless there's a safety mechanism:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/sec...ing/prohibited-items

Self Defense Sprays

One 4 fl. oz. (118 ml) container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. Self-defense sprays containing more than 2 percent by mass of tear gas (CS or CN) are prohibited in checked baggage. For more information, visit faa.gov

I've checked these, TSA did not say anything but I had the reg in hard copy just in case. Mine has a clip (for jogging) and a "safety mechanism" not shown in the photo.
https://shop.foxlabs.com/colle...atter-stream-pattern

Posts: 11845 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1835 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Pocket knife and a flashlight go with me everywhere.

If I am traveling to gun friendly areas I knkw well, I'll bring carry gear. But more often that not, I'm flying, and I'm going to areas I'm unfamiliar with. If I take the metro from the hotel and run into a no guns sign, it's not like I can stash it on the train...

Patchwork laws can make travel with a firearm a real PITA, to the point that I've found it legally safer to rely on SA skills and universally legal defensive tools.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 4810 | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dinooch:
Wasp and hornet spray 30 feet of pure hell to the person who takes a face full. They have to seek medical attention. Easy to explain too "I happened to have it in the car and grabbed for it in desperation"

Bad idea.
http://articles.extension.org/...ute-for-pepper-spray

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 15507 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11040 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry whatever I want assuming the state I'm in honors my ccw. Otherwise I carry as per federal Firearms law making sure that I don't stop in their state. I can't imagine trying to maneuver even a short barrel shotgun in a car. But then I'm not as young as I used to be.

Posts: 1223 | Location: OHIO | Registered: December 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lingham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KBP:
No, in New Jersey and a few other states, the penalties for having a handgun with you in a car, is almost as bad as murdering someone!

Or worse.

GOD, Family, Country

Posts: 20 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Well and Keep Your Rifle Clean
Picture of mrmn50
posted Hide Post
This web site will answer your question:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Depending on where I am going and the route I take, I can carry as though I was home.

"..AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC,...SO HELP ME GOD."

Posts: 20388 | Location: Czechtown,Minnesota | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post