SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    what can you carry for protection while traveling?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what can you carry for protection while traveling? Login/Join 
posted
OK, so the 2nd Amendment was written for the ENTIRE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA not just for states that feel guns are not evil. Not just for states that feel guns are not the reason people kill each other. Under the 2nd Amendment right to own and use firearms, what firearm can I carry while traveling thru the USA? I know some states feel handguns are evil and other states decided to punish EVERYBODY for some criminals abuse of a semi automatic rifle. Is there any firearm that is OK to car carry? How about a legal short barrel shotgun? Are honest law abiding citizens reduced to carrying a club or bat for protection? Why are the elitist politicians the only ONES allowed to be protected by firearms everywhere in the USA? Ever notice the states and cities with the most restrictive gun laws have the highest amount of gun violence?

Posts: 41 | Location: PA | Registered: May 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You're preaching to the choir.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30642 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its my impression that an unloaded shotgun can be car carried while traveling in many states except for a few anti gun anti-2nd Amendment control freak states like New Jersey and New York. Any one with info on this?

Posts: 41 | Location: PA | Registered: May 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sure wouldn't want to "forget" I had a handgun in the vehicle while driving cross country....

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, in New Jersey and a few other states, the penalties for having a handgun with you in a car, is almost as bad as murdering someone!

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Baseball, bat and a glove for when you need to play catch with the boy or head down to the park and hit some dingers, thinkin bout the god ole days...

Man I could have been a short stop if I wasn't so incredibly bad at baseball.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad I live in (and travel through) the South. My frequent trips are from TX to AZ and from TX to FL. All states enroute are friendly to TX LTC holders.

One time I got stopped by the MS State Police for following another vehicle too closely. I handed him my DL and LTC. He gave me a verbal warning. Then he asked what I carried. "Sig 239 in .40 cal", says I. "Nice gun", he says, "I carry a Glock 9mm". "That's what my wife carries", I said.

Then, after complimenting my dog riding in the back seat, he bid us Good Morning. As we drove away, I commented to my wife, "What a nice fellow. Too bad he carries a lady's gun".

Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NavAir,

Posts: 53 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate leaving Arizona!

AzCDL
War is less costly than servitude
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Posts: 71 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am soon to leave the slave state of New York but can tell you to the best of my knowledge something like an 870 pump is legal everywhere. In New York it must be unloaded when in your car making it immediately useless. However having 5 shells in a butt stock carrier and practicing gives you a round on tap in about a second. And before someone chimes in, in New York State ( the city is a different animal all together) there is no requirement for a long gun to be in a locked case

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my friends that travel in big RV's tell me that a shotgun is the weapon of choice for protection most states. One question I have is if you have a cc permit to carry a pistol, does that allow one to carry a loaded shotgun in a vehicle in that state? A short barreled 12 ga. pump shotgun would be an effective defense weapon if you were sleeping in an RV and someone tried to hijack your vehicle.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to leave my signature line here.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Unloaded pump action shotgun in the trunk should be good to go almost everywhere that I can think of except NJ and NYC.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
In TN loaded shotgun is OK in the passenger compartment if you have a carry permit.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aloha,

DON'T even Think of have Any firearm in your vehicle in Hawaii

unless you are going to/from certain "permitted" places(there is a List according to State Laws)

You can have pepper spray.

Wife and I say Hawaii is a victim rich environment........

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This entire problem with caring a weapon for protection while traveling is nuts! Here we are traveling in a vehicle that weights THOUSANDS OF POUNDS made out of metal, with 20 gallons of gasoline, (each gallon of gas has the explosive power of 5 sticks of dynamite) while traveling at maybe 70 miles per hour, and most states don't trust us while traveling in a car with even a 22 caliber pistol! If any reasonable person would think about this, its INSANE! Yes, its OK to have a vehicle packed with the equivalent of 100 sticks of dynamite, enclosed in steel traveling at 70 miles per hour, but completely illegal for many to have a .22 cal handgun! Its like saying a potential bomb is OK but a PEE shooter is not! This is our politicians at work!

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
KBP, take a breath when you type and pry the exclamation point key off your computer.

We agree with you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
what can you carry for protection while traveling?

Anything I want. States that don't like what I carry will never see my pretty face.
I wouldn't want to accidently spend a nickel in them and support their BS.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can identify the states in which you can carry a loaded handgun legally, states which recognize your home state CCW or a non-resident license. (www.handgunlaw.us) I travel by car to Washington State or Florida regularly, and never have to unstrap. I bypass the nanny states with my car, firearm and money.

Not enough states allow a loaded long gun in a vehicle, and an unloaded long gun makes a poor club. Bayonets are on the dicey side too.

Posts: 1674 | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
KBP, take a breath when you type and pry the exclamation point key off your computer.

We agree with you.

Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI, a slingshot with a wrist brace is illegal in NY.

Yeah, it is that absurd.

However, if you do happen to possess an unrestricted NY CCP, you rarely run into no gun signs and generally have no issues (outside NYC).

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post