SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Oswego New York and firearms laws.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oswego New York and firearms laws. Login/Join 
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted
Syracuse area ( Oswego ). Is anyone familar with area and the firearms laws? Possible relocation. I did a bit of google research and In good old fasioned New York style nothing is clear. Thanks in advance, John

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You won't get a permit in Onondaga County (Syracuse). A little more likely in Oswego County, much more likely in Jefferson, Lewis, or Oneida Counties.

Posts: 20077 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
You won't get a permit in Onondaga County (Syracuse). A little more likely in Oswego County, much more likely in Jefferson, Lewis, or Oneida Counties.

Do you mean he won't get full carry? Unless you're a prohibited person you will be able to get a NYS pistol license, but it will be restricted to 'target/hunting' or the vary vague 'sportsman' catagory.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Most of the above mentioned counties have a system in place where you get training for the unrestricted carry license. Taking the unrestricted training class isn't a "guarantee" you will be issued a unrestricted pistol license but it gives the issuing official (usually the local county judge) better peace of mind that you won't go full Rambo. I took the class about a decade ago and received my unrestricted. Some counties require an interview with the judge. Some counties require an applicant write a letter to the judge. (which I did) And the county where I live now requires that you show them the certificate of completion for completing the unrestricted training class.
Here is the outfit that did the training I took.
http://www.safeinrochester.com/
By the time you have finished the process you will feel like your rights have been stomped on. But the process really isn't that bad and it's certainly better than it was 35 years ago.
And unrestricted carry is... Unrestricted carry!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1529 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
More than the permit stuff, no mags over 10 rds and no pistol grips, flash hiders, bayonet lugs etc on semis. So with an AR, it has to be "Featureless."

Posts: 438 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
As an ex-pat NYer living in a free state, now, I say "Don't". Unless you absolutely must, avoid living in NYS.
Any chance you can live in PA or Vermont and commute?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
You will freeze your nuts off in the winter!

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
You will freeze your nuts off in the winter!

Oswego? look up "lake effect snow"..

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RN shooter is correct I escaped the liberal hell that is New York a few years ago and there is no job or amount of
Money to make it worth going back.
You can not possess a handgun without a permit which depending on county may take a year or more to obtain, and may not allow concealed carry. Each pistol must be transferred through a dealer and added by serial number to your permit. No mags over ten rounds no ar’s except in strange configuration or fixed magazine, all firearms transfers must go through a dealer, no clear written guidelines from state regarding firearms modifications regarding legality. Since the 2012 safe act people have been modifying AR’s to what as best as they can conclude, makes them legal via the law, but no one really knows for sure. People from free states have absolutely no idea how bad it is.

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I think some clarification from the OP would be helpful. Are you referring to long guns, pistols or both? My friends and I all have unrestricted concealed carry pistol permits. Yes, we have to follow the hideous SAFE Act restrictions on magazine capacity etc but otherwise it’s not as bad in rural counties as it is downstate.

Posts: 2582 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. Both long guns and pistols.

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GotDogs:
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. Both long guns and pistols.

Familiarize yourself with this SAFE Act hideous legislation. It’s statewide and details the restrictions you will encounter moving to New York State. Otherwise, it’s been my experience that so long as you don’t have a criminal record, you won’t have trouble with the process of obtaining a concealed carry pistol permit in Upstate New York.

Posts: 2582 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Lived in Fulton, just south of Oswego, it's a college town and not too bad....mind you it's been 19 years. My oldest was born in the hospital there.

I got my CCW there it was a very long process that included 4 character references and a letter from the Psych board and every handgun had to be added to my permit. That process was pretty easy, $10 and normally a week for the judge to sign it. Permits are lifetime permits though.

Oh....do you like snow, record for Oswego was 254".....and the wind off the lake has been known to blow people off their feet...

Pretty area though and with the finger lakes close as well as the water up north is one of the best fishing/huntings I have lived in.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Although I’m a downstater, Long Island, I would strongly recommend against moving to this liberal, dem, overtaxed, no gun rights for the average Joe, shithole. Unless you like freezing your ass off and shoveling cock deep show, I would think there are far better places for relocation. Nobody moves to NY. I cant wait to get out. Best of luck.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
As an ex-pat NYer living in a free state, now, I say "Don't". Unless you absolutely must, avoid living in NYS.
Any chance you can live in PA or Vermont and commute?

Bruce
Thats a hell of a commute from either place. Doable in a F-16. Oswego is indeed heavy snows area. North of Syracuse a ways. Best county in NY for gun owners is Jefferson, Rochester area. Still a long commute.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Lived in Fulton, just south of Oswego, it's a college town and not too bad....mind you it's been 19 years. My oldest was born in the hospital there.

I got my CCW there it was a very long process that included 4 character references and a letter from the Psych board and every handgun had to be added to my permit. That process was pretty easy, $10 and normally a week for the judge to sign it. Permits are lifetime permits though.

Oh....do you like snow, record for Oswego was 254".....and the wind off the lake has been known to blow people off their feet...

Pretty area though and with the finger lakes close as well as the water up north is one of the best fishing/huntings I have lived in.
Sure nough, a few years back, Fulton and Parish got a blanket 7 feet in 24 hours. Keep milk, bread, eggs, coffee and the like on hand.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Although I’m a downstater, Long Island, I would strongly recommend against moving to this liberal, dem, overtaxed, no gun rights for the average Joe, shithole. Unless you like freezing your ass off and shoveling cock deep show, I would think there are far better places for relocation. Nobody moves to NY. I cant wait to get out. Best of luck.
Spot on !

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you do come, you won't be able to bring your handguns with you. You'll need to reside here, apply for a license (however long that takes in that county), then have them all transferred in.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
You know why there's an opening in Oswego?

Somebody escaped.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
NY gun laws, SAFE Act II, will become more restrictive if Como is reelected.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post