SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Colorado Free Resistance * FEDERAL JUDGE REVERSES BAN ON 'ASSAULT WEAPONS' & STANDARD CAPACITY MAGAZINES*
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Free Resistance * FEDERAL JUDGE REVERSES BAN ON 'ASSAULT WEAPONS' & STANDARD CAPACITY MAGAZINES* Login/Join 
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Per NRA-ILA:
https://www.nraila.org/article...egislation-next-week

MONDAY, JANUARY 23, 2017 Colorado: Senate Committee to Hear Magazine Limit Repeal Legislation Next Week

On Tuesday, January 31, the Senate State, Veterans, & Military Affairs Committee is scheduled to hear Senate Bill 7, legislation that seeks to repeal the misguided 2013 law that limited the amount of ammunition a firearm magazine can hold.

SB 7 would remove this restriction so that law-abiding Coloradans are not limited in their ability to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Please click the “Take Action” button above to contact your state Senator and state Representative, and politely urge them to support Senate Bill 7 when it comes up for a vote.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
I received an email from the NRA-ILA today asking people to attend the Colorado Senate Committee Meeting, and voice support for a bill to repeal the magazine ban. The meeting will be on January 31, 2017 from 9:30am - 11:30am at the Colorado State Capitol (Details at the RSVP Link below). A copy of the email with links is below.

quote:
NRA-ILA Email:

As you are probably aware, your NRA is continuing to work on overturning the arbitrary ammunition magazine limit passed in 2013. By supporting Senate Bill 17-007, we can repeal the magazine limit and return these freedoms to Colorado residents, but we need your help.

The legislation is scheduled to be heard by the state Senate Committee on State, Veterans and Military Affairs on this Tuesday, January 31st. For more information and to RSVP, please click on the link below:

RSVP HERE

Please make plans to attend this committee meeting and urge your family and friends to attend as well, to voice your support for this important pro-gun legislation to repeal magazine limits in Colorado. If you are unable to attend, please visit act.NRAILA.org so that you may contact your legislators directly.

Yours in Freedom,

Michael G. Horanburg
NRA-ILA Field Coordinator

http://www.nrailafrontlines.com/

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Been busy lately, but received this a few days ago Cool

https://www.nraila.org/article...-by-senate-committee

"Colorado: Magazine Limit Repeal Bill Approved by Senate Committee

TUESDAY, JANUARY 31, 2017 Colorado: Magazine Limit Repeal Bill Approved by Senate Committee

Today, the Senate State, Veterans, & Military Affairs Committee approved Senate Bill 7 by a 3-2 vote (Yes: Marble, Neville, and Scott – No: Court and Fenberg). Thank you to Senator Vicki Marble for sponsoring Senate Bill 7. SB 7 would repeal the misguided 2013 law that limited the amount of ammunition a firearm magazine can hold, now heads to the Senate floor where it will await a vote by the full chamber. Please continue to contact your state Senator and state Representative and politely urge them to SUPPORT Senate Bill 7 when it comes up for a vote.

SB 7 would remove this restriction so that law-abiding Coloradans are not limited in their ability to protect themselves and their loved ones. Please click the “Take Action” button above to contact your state Senator and state Representative, and politely urge them to support Senate Bill 7 when it comes up for a vote."

Mike

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Fingers crossed for my northern neighbors.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Fingers crossed for my northern neighbors.

Thanks, it's much appreciated. Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I've been tied up so thanks for all the updates gang!

I received this email this morning...it looks like the House is scheduled to hear HB1097 this afternoon, which is the companion bill to the Senate Bill SB7, which was heard a few days ago.

Colorado: House Version of Magazine Limit Repeal Legislation to be Heard Today

Today, at 1:30pm, the House State, Veterans, & Military Affairs Committee is scheduled to hear House Bill 1097. Sponsored by state Representative Lori Saine, HB 1097 is the companion bill to Senate Bill 7, legislation to repeal the misguided 2013 law that limited the amount of ammunition a firearm magazine can hold. It is important that you continue to contact members of the House State, Veterans, & Military Affairs Committee and urge them to SUPPORT Senate Bill 7 when it comes up for a vote.

https://act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1470

If enacted, House Bill 1097 would allow law-abiding Coloradans to more effectively defend themselves and their loved ones and not be limited by a misguided law that criminals do not follow. Please click the “Take Action” button above to contact members of the House State, Veterans, & Military Affairs Committee and urge them to SUPPORT Senate Bill 7 when it comes up for a vote.

If you haven't already done so, please take a moment to contact your elected reps and urge their support for this bill!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
My apologies to those who participate in this thread for not keeping it updated recently. I recently had surgery and a hospital stay and I'm moving a little slowly.

SB7 is scheduled for a vote on Wednesday 3-22-17.

Colorado: House Committee to Consider Legislation to Repeal Magazine Ban

On Wednesday, March 22, the House State, Veterans, & Military Affairs Committee has scheduled a hearing on Senate Bill 7. Please contact members of the committee and strongly urge them to SUPPORT Senate Bill 7.

Sponsored by state Senator Vicki Marble, SB 7 would repeal the anti-self-defense 2013 law that limited the amount of ammunition a firearm magazine can hold. Senate Bill 7 would allow law-abiding Coloradans to more effectively defend themselves and their loved ones and not be limited by a misguided law that criminals do not follow. In February, the Colorado Senate passed Senate Bill 7 with a bipartisan 21-13 vote.

https://act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1424

Please take a few minutes to contact your elected leaders and the members of the House State, Veterans, & Military Affairs Committee and urge their support for this bill.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
Want happened with this?

Posts: 472 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cfiore:
Want happened with this?

HB 17-1036 (Bill to Allow Concealed Carry in Schools), HB 17-1037 (Bill to Allow a Business Owner to Use Deadly Force Against an Intruder), and
HB 17-1097 (Bill to Repeal Ammunition Magazine Prohibition) were all defeated in the Democrat controlled House in a 6-3 party line vote.

SB 7, the companion bill to HB 17-1097 passed in the Republican controlled Senate.

This loss is, unfortunately, not unexpected due to the mixed control of the legislature. The Pro-2A crowd brought in experts to testify on behalf of the bill however, as usual, the anti-2A crowd brought in larger groups of protesters, including those sponsored by George Soros. Members of these groups made it clear that not only are they not willing to concede any repeal of the mag capacity ban but that they will be pushing for further 2A restrictions in the coming years.

This is why it is so very important that Pro-2A groups show up in force and continue to push back against these gun control efforts. We can't afford to let them take the initiative or to allow legislators to think there isn't enough support to back Pro-2A bills.

One victory this legislative session for those who support the use of weapons to legally defend themselves or others is that SB 17-08 PASSED, which will remove gravity assist and automatic knives from the list of illegal weapons and will go into effect later this Summer.

On a side note, DA George Brockler (R) (famous for his prosecution of the Aurora Theater shooter) just announced his candidacy for Governor. During a local radio show interview he stated that he was a handgun owner and 2A supporter and that he felt that the magazine capacity ban has done nothing to reduce or prevent crime. He made it clear that it wasn't at the top of his agenda, but that if the legislature were to put forth a bill to repeal the mag capacity ban that he would sign it.

Take 5. Keep your powder dry for the next engagement.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
NRA-ILA Alert

Colorado: Preliminary Plan Could Close Public Lands to Target Shooting

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is in the process of developing a management plan for 658,200 acres of surface land in eastern Colorado within the BLM Royal Gorge Field Office. It recently released a document that provides an early look at how it could manage these public lands for the future. The BLM is seeking public comment through May 5th. Following analysis of the comments, the BLM will develop a draft management plan that will later be released for additional public comment.

This early review is a very important opportunity for all those who enjoy target shooting on these lands to let the agency know at this early planning stage how proposed management alternatives (Alternatives A through D) could positively or negatively affect recreation opportunities. Hunting is not affected by any of the Alternatives.

The “Preliminary Alternatives Report and Draft Basis for Analysis” can be reviewed online at: http://on.doi.gov/1HVULcA . Click on “Documents and Reports” in the left hand column. How each of the four Alternatives addresses target shooting is shown in the chart on pages 178 and 179. Other pages addressing target shooting are pages 193, 200, and 340.

Comments may be submitted to the BLM online at blm_co_rg_rmp_comments@blm.gov

Those who recreate on these lands are the most knowledgeable as to how management decisions will shape their own future use of these public lands. Please take the time to review the document and submit your comments to the BLM.

I've never shot on this land but I think it would be a shame for those who have not to have any input in how it is used or whether recreational shooting will be allowed on it. Please consider responding if you have any input on this land.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
Happy New Years! Smile

All is quiet on the Western Front...but I thought it was time for a New Years bump. With the new year comes the 2018 legislative session so let's hope we can get another push going towards repealing the anti-2A laws pushed through under the Hickenlooper administration.

Keep your powder dry!

Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Happy New Years! Smile

All is quiet on the Western Front...but I thought it was time for a New Years bump. With the new year comes the 2018 legislative session so let's hope we can get another push going towards repealing the anti-2A laws pushed through under the Hickenlooper administration.

Keep your powder dry!

Happy New Year, MDS.

I think we're going to have to wait until old John (Hickenlooper) is out of office to get rid of these laws.

Cheers!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
I think we're going to have to wait until old John (Hickenlooper) is out of office to get rid of these laws.

Cheers!

You may well be right...but I want to "spit in their eye"...and maybe make 'em devote resources to fighting this in an election year. Wink

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
Correction...looks like there is some contact with the enemy in Denver afterall. If passed this proposal will ban bump stocks in Denver AND will re-define what an "Assault Weapon" is.

I haven't caught much news over the holidays and quite honestly news of this proposal caught me by surprise...nice of the Denver council's Safety Committee to allow a full 15 minutes of public comment on this issue. Roll Eyes

note: the proposal wording is contained in the actual article link

Denver councilman proposes ban on bump stocks for semiautomatic guns in response to Las Vegas massacre

Denver councilman proposes ban on bump stocks for semiautomatic guns in response to Las Vegas massacre

City ordinance already prohibits the types of rifles that can be modified by the devices

By JON MURRAY jmurray@denverpost.com The Denver Post December 29, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Denver soon could adopt a ban on “bump stocks” like the device that a Las Vegas gunman used in October to turn his semiautomatic rifles into rapid-fire weapons, spraying bullets on a concert from above.

The City Council next week will begin consideration of an ordinance change that would make it unlawful to sell, carry, store or possess a bump stock device within Denver city limits.

The proposal, floated by Councilman Rafael Espinoza, would modify a 28-year-old assault weapons ban that has survived two court challenges. That local law already prohibits the types of semiautomatic rifles that can be modified with a bump stock, as well as limiting the capacity of their magazines.

But Espinoza said the ordinance should recognize the full range of options available to modify weapons.

“I’m under no illusion that if somebody is hell-bent on committing a heinous crime, they could both have larger magazines and modify their weapon,” he said, by skirting the law or buying outside the city. “But that said, the only people in the city and county of Denver that should have that kind of firepower are law enforcement and trained officials.”

Espinoza has cited as the impetus for his proposal the public calls for action at all levels of government in the wake of the Oct. 1 shooting, which killed 58 people and injured more than 500.

Congress is considering bills proposing federal bans on bump stocks. But the National Rifle Association, while supporting some regulation of bump stocks, has opposed an outright ban.

The interest group’s chief lobbyist has argued that bans never work and that more public focus should be placed on preventing bad human behavior.

In Denver, Espinoza first mentioned that he was working on a proposal Nov. 6. He responded after a Colorado Army National Guard member spoke during a public comment session for the second time in a month and urged the council to pass a bump-stock ban and other gun-control measures.

“This is what we need to do to prevent further mass shootings with AR-15s and devices that are intended solely to kill mass numbers of people,” said Alan Kennedy-Shaffer, who is also a Democratic candidate for state Senate in northwest Denver, according to a recording of the session.

“Those ideas are not falling on deaf ears,” Espinoza said minutes later from the dais.

As proposed, his measure defines bump stocks as “any device for a pistol, rifle or shotgun that increases the rate of fire achievable with such weapon by using energy from the recoil of the weapon to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger.”

It also would modify the magazine capacity limit to conform with a four-year-old state law. Denver’s assault weapons ban set the magazine capacity limit at 20 rounds, but in 2013 the state legislature passed a 15-round limitation for magazines as part of a trio of controversial gun-control bills.

The Denver council’s safety committee will consider Espinoza’s proposal at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in Room 391 of the City and County Building. The committee plans to allow 15 minutes for public comment.

If the committee advances the measure, it could face a final vote by the full council as soon as Jan. 22.

Here is the text of Espinoza’s proposal:

[PDF of proposal embedded in article]

If you live in Denver I would urge you to contact your reps and the Mayor and urge against the passage of this proposal.

Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correction...looks like there is some contact with the enemy in Denver afterall. If passed this proposal will ban bump stocks in Denver AND will re-define what an "Assault Weapon" is.

I haven't caught much news over the holidays and quite honestly news of this proposal caught me by surprise...nice of the Denver council's Safety Committee to allow a full 15 minutes of public comment on this issue. Roll Eyes

That proposal/ordinance is going to sail through the Denver City Council like shit through a goose. The only question is whether they will treat bump stocks like they do "assault weapons". It's an affirmative defense to travel through Denver with a mag-fed semi-auto and a 20+ round mag, if you don't reside in the city, IIRC.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Also received this a few days ago from NRA-ILA:

Legislators Renew Push to Repeal Magazine Limit

THURSDAY, JANUARY 11, 2018

Colorado: Urge Your Legislators to Support Magazine Capacity Limit Repeal. Senator Owen Hill, and Representatives Lori Saine and Stephen Humphrey introduced Senate Bill 52, legislation that seeks to repeal the misguided 2013 law that limited the amount of ammunition a firearm magazine can hold.

Senate Bill 52 would remove this restriction so that law-abiding Coloradans are not limited in their ability to protect themselves and their loved ones.

https://act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1836

Mike

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that NRA-ILA update Mike. I caught a radio interview with Colorado Senate President Kevin Grantham as he outlined the current session's agenda however he didn't mention it. I think the big ticket item this time around is transportation so we're going to need to make sure that the mag capacity repeal gets some attention from the reps.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
The Denver City Council voted to support the Bump Stock ban...however the final vote is scheduled for January 22 so if there are any Denver gun owners reading this I would urge you to show up and protest this.

Although not mentioned in this article, apparently one gun owner present at the meeting and in support of the ban has requested that the "Assault Weapon" magazine capacity reduction be grandfathered into the proposal.

http://kdvr.com/2018/01/16/den...bump-stocks-on-guns/

Denver City Council supports proposal to ban bump stocks on guns

POSTED 6:40 AM, JANUARY 16, 2018, BY JIM HOOLEY UPDATED AT 08:25PM, JANUARY 16, 2018

DENVER -- The Denver City Council voted to support a proposed ban on controversial bump stocks, the device that can increase the speed in which a gun can be fired. That happened at a special meeting Tuesday night.

The Las Vegas shooter used a bump stock on at least one of his weapons during the rampage that killed nearly 60 people in October, allowing him to fire as many as 90 rounds in 10 seconds.

A bill in front of the council would ban any device for a pistol, rifle or shotgun that increases the rate of fire and repeated activation of the trigger.

The proposal would also make it illegal to have a gun magazine that holds more than 15 rounds. The current limit in Denver is 21. That change would put the city in line with Colorado state laws.

Council members voted unanimously to support the ban, but this was not the final vote. The final vote on the issue is expected to happen at the city council meeting on Monday, January 22.

If the proposal becomes law, the fine could be as much as $1,000 and up to 180 days in jail.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
I just received an email from my gun club and one of the updates reported was that the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (C.B.I) has sent notices to many (but apparently not all) businesses that sell guns in Colorado, informing them that they are increasing the background check fees. Which means extra costs when buying a gun now. There was also some information that suggested that the C.B.I. will now be assessing fees on a quarterly basis, so be prepared for background check fee variations.

https://ccic.state.co.us/InstaCheck/home.html

***Attention All Federal Firearm Licensees***
Upon examining expenses, the CBI has determined a re-calibration of the InstaCheck transaction fee is necessary to maintain current service levels to InstaCheck customers. Therefore, beginning Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 12:01 A.M. (MST), the CBI will increase the fee for a firearm background check from $6.00 to $15.00 (USD). Any firearm background check processed prior to this date will be assessed the $6.00 fee, including the January 1, 2018 through January 31, 2018 transactions listed on the invoices to be mailed the beginning of February 2018. For additional information please visit

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cbi/fflinformation.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:

That proposal/ordinance is going to sail through the Denver City Council like shit through a goose. The only question is whether they will treat bump stocks like they do "assault weapons". It's an affirmative defense to travel through Denver with a mag-fed semi-auto and a 20+ round mag, if you don't reside in the city, IIRC.

As predicted, the Bump Stock ban was enacted in Denver, and they are now requiring those in possession of them to turn them into local police stations or face fines and jail time.

The Denver definition of "assault weapon" has also been re-defined to include any long gun magazine over 15 rounds.