SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Colorado Free Resistance * FEDERAL JUDGE REVERSES BAN ON 'ASSAULT WEAPONS' & STANDARD CAPACITY MAGAZINES*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Free Resistance * FEDERAL JUDGE REVERSES BAN ON 'ASSAULT WEAPONS' & STANDARD CAPACITY MAGAZINES* Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
So, while not directly gun related, this story is relevant as it is a direct response to the successful recall elections of last year.

After last year's recalls, Colorado House Democrats pass change in law

After last year's recalls, Colorado House Democrats pass change in law

By Anthony Cotton
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/17/2014 04:33:57 PM MDT8 comments | Updated: about 6 hours ago

The House of Representatives passed, on a 37-28 party-line vote, a bill that will allow citizens to cast remote ballots in recall elections.

Senate Bill 158 was being pushed by Democrats angered by the recalls last year of former state Senators Angela Giron and John Morse who were voted out of office after their support for gun control measures. A third Democratic senator, Evie Hudak, resigned rather than face a recall battle.

Morse and Giron were removed following voter turnouts of 21 and 36 percent respectively. Democrats argue that the outcome was, at least in part, the result of recall election laws, which effectively required voters to physically turn in ballots on a single day. That differs from how most voting, with mail-in and absentee ballots, is conducted today.

The new bill would bring recall ballots in line with general elections; House Republicans argued that the measure would be tantamount to changing the state's Constitution.

A second bill regarding election law, this one covering voter registration and residency, was scheduled to be debated on the House floor Thursday afternoon.

So, following the recent trend of the Democrat party ramming through election law revisions that tip the balance in their favor, they have now applied the same tactics to state recall elections, in an attempt to either squash or influence them.

I suspect that this same, or similar, tactic will be exported by Democrats to other states, in an attempt to influence the outcomes in their favor.

It will be interesting to see if the Governor signs this into law... but, in for a penny, in for a pound...

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
Unable to locate any supplimental reports on the hearings. Looks like we'll be in the dark for another ~5 months.

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Anything new?

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sweden:
Unable to locate any supplimental reports on the hearings. Looks like we'll be in the dark for another ~5 months.

quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
Anything new?

No, nothing. The organization I was pulling a good bit of my information from prior to the trial has either deleted or moved the pertinent webpage... but even before they pulled it there wasn't any new info posted.

I'll put some feelers out to my contacts again... but at this point we all seem to be in the dark on this case. I haven't heard much in regards to the RMGO law suit so if anyone has any news as to its status please update us.

Thanks for the bumps and the interest fellas!

All is quiet on the Western Front.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charles_L
posted Hide Post
Speaking of what's happening here, RMGO has a radio ad running.

http://www.rmgosuperpac.org/lp/bothwaysbob.html

http://coloradopols.com/diary/...t-rmgos-dudley-brown

I've never much liked Beauprez, seems like an establishment RINO. I think it's interesting that he entered the race fairly late when all the candidates were for the most part strongly pro-gun. My feeling is for whatever reason his job is to crater the primaries and having Romney's endorsement I feel just highlights his wishy-washy noncommittal platform and record. I know the goal is to oust Hickenlooper, but I'm tired of seeing the GOP keep pushing weak candidates who never stand for anything. Voting the lesser of evils is just dragging us the wrong way slowly.

Posts: 1265 | Registered: December 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_L:

I've never much liked Beauprez, seems like an establishment RINO. I think it's interesting that he entered the race fairly late when all the candidates were for the most part strongly pro-gun. My feeling is for whatever reason his job is to crater the primaries and having Romney's endorsement I feel just highlights his wishy-washy noncommittal platform and record. I know the goal is to oust Hickenlooper, but I'm tired of seeing the GOP keep pushing weak candidates who never stand for anything. Voting the lesser of evils is just dragging us the wrong way slowly.

Vote for Mike Kopp! Do it now.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charles_L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

He got my vote!

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hmm, interesting information!

I've heard a number of interviews with Bob Beauprez in the past, and have listened to him as a guest host for local talk radio shows. As a Colorado rancher and small town banker he seems to exemplify the "traditional" values of the West...

... having said that, I have never heard him comment on his 2A stances and admittedly assumed that he wouldn't pose any problems for Colorado gun owners.

I have to say that while the RMGO allegations have peeked my curiosity about Beauprez's 2A positions, I'm more than a little dismayed that they simply made allegations against him with no substantiation/ verification/ or footnoted references.

As I'm learning, from your posted links, RMGO has made 3 allegations:

1) Beauprez supported trigger lock legislation. I don't know whether he did (he denies it)... but even if he did I consider that a pretty small "infraction". While I don't like anti-business legislation or the government sticking its nose into what should be a business decision, I don't see how requiring a manufacturer to include a trigger lock with their gun is anti-gun.

2) RMGO has alleged that Beauprez supported a ban against "traditional" ammunition. I'm not sure what exactly "traditional" ammunition is. In any case, they certainly didn't bother to provide any supporting facts and Beauprez denies the allegation.

3) Beauprez's support of Amendment 22. I have to admit that this one troubles me.

I am a gun owner and vote squarely to support the 2A. I am not a "single issue" voter and I also recognize the need for pragmatism in politics.

Ideology is about Ideas, Politics is about winning elections... and you can't implement change if you can't win an election.

I learned a long time ago not to base my political decisions on hearsay, especially from someone/ some party/ or some organization with an axe to grind.

My main concern right now is replacing Governor Hickenlooper with a solid Conservative. I think Beauprez would be a far better governor than what we have now. Admittedly, I've been leaning towards supporting his candidacy... but at this point I am not firmly entrenched in his camp either.

Charles_L, thanks for posting the info! I've got some homework to do this weekend.

Picture of Charles_L
posted Hide Post
It's hard to imagine a Western Republican governor not being fairly strong on gun rights, but I don't think we can assume anything from the GOP. See Christie's non-answer recently on New Jersey's gun laws.

This is particularly true of a man such as Beauprez that has played the game nationally for years and despite his background is not some aw-shucks rancher. He's a mover and shaker, rubs elbows with insiders at cocktail parties.

So despite RMGO being a single issue group I do think we need to take what they say with some consideration so we don't end up replacing bad with just slightly less bad. Dudley's purpose is to support a strong pro-gun governor who can be counted on to work for repeal these laws and Beauprez is unreliable, he might pull the 'settled law' bull.

I do agree that it's wise not to take anything without substantiation to be truth. Just because we agree with the message doesn't excuse the requirement for it to be factual.

Picture of Charles_L
posted Hide Post
http://rlccolorado.com/2014/06...prezs-false-promise/

quote:
Republican Liberty Caucus condemns Bob Beauprez’s false Promise
Posted on June 19, 2014

Republican candidate for Governor, Bob Beauprez, is out with a new commercial claiming he will defend individual liberty and constitutional rights.

Sadly, during his time in the US house of Representatives, Bob Beauprez voted for multiple assaults on our liberties under the bill of rights including: allowing warrantless wiretapping, indefinite detention of accused prisoners, allowing hearsay evidence at trial. He even voted to allow the FBI to continue to collect your personal records, including fire arms sales, without informing you!

Bob Beauprez has claimed that it is the job of government to force its citizens to be “responsible” and buy health insurance. He even went so far as to compare those who choose not to purchase insurance to someone who walks out of the grocery without paying for his items.

“The good news is that liberty is popular! The bad news is that, for many candidates, liberty is a slogan for a campaign commercial,” said RLC Colorado Chairman Earl Bandy. “It is indefensible for a man who has supported the worst offenses against personal freedom, of both the political left and the political right, to claim that he will defend liberty. Bob Beauprez’s ‘Liberty’s Promise’ is an empty promise.”

Picture of colomtn
posted Hide Post
quote:

From Mike Koop's FB page:
Mike Kopp is a dad, husband, former U.S. Army Ranger and Hotshot firefighter, and former Republican leader of the Colorado State Senate.

I believe Mike will get my vote, unless in doing some research over the weekend I find something really stoopid!!!

My grandfather voted republican until the day he died, now he votes democrat.

Posts: 4346 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: August 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
The fact that Beauprez calls himself a conservative is laughable. He aint one. He is a career dem masquerading as a republican, just like many, many others in congress.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://rlccolorado.com/2014/06...prezs-false-promise/

quote:
Republican Liberty Caucus condemns Bob Beauprez’s false Promise
Posted on June 19, 2014

Republican candidate for Governor, Bob Beauprez, is out with a new commercial claiming he will defend individual liberty and constitutional rights.

Sadly, during his time in the US house of Representatives, Bob Beauprez voted for multiple assaults on our liberties under the bill of rights including: allowing warrantless wiretapping, indefinite detention of accused prisoners, allowing hearsay evidence at trial. He even voted to allow the FBI to continue to collect your personal records, including fire arms sales, without informing you!

Bob Beauprez has claimed that it is the job of government to force its citizens to be “responsible” and buy health insurance. He even went so far as to compare those who choose not to purchase insurance to someone who walks out of the grocery without paying for his items.

“The good news is that liberty is popular! The bad news is that, for many candidates, liberty is a slogan for a campaign commercial,” said RLC Colorado Chairman Earl Bandy. “It is indefensible for a man who has supported the worst offenses against personal freedom, of both the political left and the political right, to claim that he will defend liberty. Bob Beauprez’s ‘Liberty’s Promise’ is an empty promise.”

Well, I took a couple hours to read the linked statement, its supporting links as well as the RLC website, and type up a fairly lengthy response... only to inadvertently hit some damn button on my computer that closed out my response...

... so, here goes again!

Charles_L, until you posted this link I had never heard of the Republican Liberty Caucus. I took some time to read their statement, go to the supporting links, and spent some time on their website.

The RLC appears to be basing their criticism of Beauprez on 5 points:

Points 1 - 3 involve the use of warrantless wiretaps, indefinite detention of illegal combatants, and the allowance of hearsay evidence in their trials, AS LIMITED BY THE MILITARY COMMISSION ACT of 2006.

In the consideration of national security I support these measures on the Global War on Terror and so as far as I'm concerned Beauprez's support of these measures is a feather in his cap.

Point 4 is an allegation that Beauprez supported some sort of back-door gun registry. However, the linked reference was so poorly worded and disorganized that it is nothing more than meaningless jibberish to me. Unless and until I see a more reputable source on this issue I am categorically dismissing it.

Point 5 alleges that Beauprez supports compulsory private health care insurance, and as the article appears to be from his own blog this appears to be TRUE!

As mentioned before, I spent some time on the RLC website trying to understand who they are and what they support. They listed certain general platitudes that I agree with, but I couldn't find any information on their specific positions. Based on the candidates they supported or opposed as well as the criticisms of various candidates I think I'm being fair in inferring that they could be described as a Tea Party group.

I like the Tea Party and I support them in principle. I think their involvement in Republican politics has been important... actually, vital. I hope their positions continue to influence voters and the Republican Party as a whole.

But I believe the Tea Party, as a whole, is politically immature and naive. They are far too dogmatic, in my opinion, to have any meaningful widespread impact on Republican voters.

As far as the RLC goes, they are welcome to their dogmatic narrow positions. But the fact that they resorted to focusing their criticism of him based on one small portion of his blogged statement and the fact that they found the need to paraphrase his position outside the scope of the context rather than accurately quoting him is proof enough for me that they lack credibility.

I have great concern, and outrage, at the damage that progressivism and liberalism have done to the U.S. as well as other countries.

I'm tired of losing elections. It is time to get pragmatic about winning elections.

While we, the "Conservatives" quibble about which candidate boasts the best conservative record, our resources and votes are split and the resulting chaos leads to another Democrat won election while we bicker amongst ourselves over who was right.

There is no such thing as a perfect candidate, and there never will be. I'd respectfully suggest that we spend less time criticizing our Conservative candidates and spending more time choosing the one that best represents Conservative values AND is electable.

Until now, I was operating under the incorrect assumption that Beauprez was good-to-go on all the major issues that I was concerned with AND that he had the best chance of defeating Hickenlooper. Even dismissing the bulk of criticisms leveled at him from the RMGO and the RLC, I am dismayed to learn of his positions on Amendment 22 and compulsory health care insurance so Beauprez has certainly lost some of his "shine" as far as my support goes.

However, based on my limited research, Kopp is not a perfect candidate either.

I spent some time on both candidates websites and what I concluded was that Mike Copp's website provides more specific & detailed information on his positions while Beauprez's website presents his positions using more platitudes. Beauprez's positions appear to be largely taken from books or blogs he has previously written.

In all fairness to Beauprez, if you delve a little deeper the two candidates have essentially the same beliefs and positions, although I still find myself lacking the information I'd like to know regarding Beauprez's position on illegal aliens.

The question I'm left with at this point is which of these two flawed candidates is best positioned to defeat Hickenlooper.

multiple edits to add content, correct grammar and spelling, and generally clean up this lengthy post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Tuesday is the primary, if you haven't voted, please do so.

Make the commies stop, vote for Kopp!!

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Earl Bandy is the main force behind the Colorado RLC. He is not affiliated with the TEA Party as it is now and I cant speak for him directly but from the times I've met and talked to him I doubt he sees eye-to-eye on some of their key points.

One of the places I disagree with the GOP is the constant and total war. There is no justification for warrant-less wiretaps and the data collection. The issue with making exceptions to rights is that there is no practical boundary to whom they call a combatant, so currently the xenophobic target is Muslims but there's nothing preventing all of this from being used against anyone the authority wants. Bush put most of the hooks in and Obama has already demonstrated the willingness to use the apparatus to go after groups he doesn't like, such as the TEA Party. We can't have relative rights, either we all get a right to have a hearing and to have habeas corpus not contextually suspended or we don't. The laws are not specific, they are intentionally vague to allow 'interpretation'.

So Beauprez's enthusiastic support on your points 1, 2 and 3 prove to me he's just a fascist in a nice pinstripe suit. He is like most establishment politicians of both parties, happy to grow the state just as long as they're driving the bus. There is no evidence the GOP believes in limited anything.

The win just to win mentality will ultimately defeat us. We have to push and take back at least one party if there is to be any meaningful changes. Career Democrats and Republicans orbit in the same social circles, send their kids to the same private schools. The hell with them. A guy like Mike Kopp at least I trust, for now. He's no more flawed than anyone else, but at least he hasn't played the game forever and is consistent in his beliefs over the years.

Not to mention that Beauprez already was a candidate for governor in 2006 and lost handily to a Democrat (Ritter) who didn't have as much support from the Democrat machine as Hickenlooper nor the name recognition. In that election he lost 56%-to-41%, it was not a close race. What's changed since 2006 that makes us think he'll do any better state-wide? Additional slipping left here and there and no obvious definition of his conservative principles?

For better or worse all this attention reinforces the name 'Hickenlooper' in people's minds and the media spin has always been that he's just a beer brewer who wants to serve the public. The guy is a ladder climbing slime ball who is playing that persona for all it's worth. So there needs to be a candidate who I think can actually stand for something and the fact that Beauprez has shown a weakness on one of /the/ main issues (guns) is just going to give Hickenlooper something to attack. "See, my opponent used to agree with me but his rabid base of right wing gun nuts is forcing him to pander to his base."

And even if Beauprez won, it will pretty much guarantee he won't have the capital to eliminate any of the laws. I honestly-to-God think that's why he's been injected into this race, to put a halt on the ground we're gaining on getting these laws overturned. I'm not exactly a single issue voter but at this moment in this race I think the gun laws and getting them stuck where the sun don't shine /is/ a highly critical one. It's more than just about 15 rounds or whatever, it's that we have to show them we are tired of being pushed around by privileged insiders. The arrogance of Hickenlooper, telling my sheriff to fuck off, it's got to have consequences.

We could continue this discussion, but at this point, if you consider Bob Beauprez to be a fascist then it is probably best to leave it here and just agree to disagree.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fair enough. Not sure what else to call it, I don't want to upset sensibilities. Is there a better description? It's not just Beauprez, but the way history seems to repeat. Recent Republicans seem to be just as willing to attack traditional principles of conservatives as they are of socialists while falling back on heavy patriotism and seemingly never finding an unsuitable place to send our servicemen and women. If there's a more apt description I'd like to hear it. Maybe it's not early in the same political cycle and it's honestly just misguided individual politicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

quote:
Fascism is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism that came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe. Influenced by national syndicalism, fascism originated in Italy during World War I, combining more typically right-wing positions with elements of left-wing politics, in opposition to liberalism, Marxism, and traditional conservatism. Although fascism is usually placed on the far right on the traditional left–right spectrum, several self-described fascists as well as some commentators have said that the description is inadequate.

Fascists sought to unify their nation through an authoritarian state that promoted the mass mobilization of the national community and were characterized by having leadership that initiated a revolutionary political movement aiming to reorganize the nation along principles according to fascist ideology. Fascist movements shared certain common features, including the veneration of the state, a devotion to a strong leader, and an emphasis on ultranationalism and militarism. Fascism views political violence, war, and imperialism as a means to achieve national rejuvenation, and it asserts that stronger nations have the right to expand their territory by displacing weaker nations.

Fascist ideology consistently invokes the primacy of the state. Leaders such as Benito Mussolini in Italy and Adolf Hitler in Nazi Germany embodied the state and claimed indisputable power. Fascism borrowed theories and terminology from socialism but replaced socialism's focus on class conflict with a focus on conflict between nations and races. Fascists advocate a mixed economy, with the principal goal of achieving autarky to secure national self-sufficiency and independence through protectionist and interventionist economic policies.

There is a book in this regard that I think should be required reading in 20th century history classes. I was lucky enough to have a fair minded professor years ago introduce a class to it. The premise is how these insidious philosophies creep in slowly and seemingly innocently until one day you can't ignore what's happened.

They Thought They Were Free by Milton Mayer

My objection has nothing to do with "sensibilities" and everything to do with such a sweeping inaccurate statement using inflammatory language.

I have no problem with someone disagreeing with Beauprez, or any politician, for that matter. As stated, I disagree with his stances on two of the issues I mentioned earlier... but to describe a Colorado Buffalo rancher and banker as a fascist and effectively compare him to the likes of true Fascists like Hitler and Mussolini is nothing more than an intellectually dishonest attempt at using the word as a pejorative.

I started this thread to accomplish three things:

1) Inform forum members (both in-state & out-of-state) about the status of anti-2A laws in Colorado

2) Inform forum members about the status of our resistance to the anti-2A laws, specifically the elections and law suits.

3) To hopefully inspire other state residents to join our fight and contribute some time and/or money to fighting the recent anti-2A laws and liberal encroachment we've seen in Colorado. I was hoping that perhaps, with some victories here, we might even inspire other states to take up the fight in their respective states.

I bear some responsibility in drifting from the premise of my own thread. In general, I don't mind a little "latitude" in threads, and, after reading the tone of some of the recent posts, I thought I would try to interject the concept of practicality when it comes to politics and electing politicians. Had I known you were going to take this thread into the topic of fascism I would never have drifted this thread.

So, for my part in this thread-drift, I apologize to you.

However, as the O.P., I am not going to allow this thread to devolve into ridiculous assertions.

Charles_L, you've made some valuable contributions to this thread and I hope you will continue to do so.

However, if you feel the need to discuss Beauprez's and the G.O.P.'s propensity towards fascism please start another thread.

Picture of Charles_L
posted Hide Post
Earl Bandy is the main force behind the Colorado RLC. He is not affiliated with the TEA Party as it is now and I cant speak for him directly but from the times I've met and talked to him I doubt he sees eye-to-eye on some of their key points.

Beauprez already was a candidate for governor in 2006 and lost handily to a Democrat (Ritter) who didn't have as much support from the Democrat machine as Hickenlooper nor the name recognition. In that election he lost 56%-to-41%, it was not a close race. What's changed since 2006 that makes us think he'll do any better state-wide? Additional slipping left here and there and no obvious definition of his conservative principles?

Something else that occurred to me was that Tancredo ran against Hickenlooper in 2010 but was on the Constitution Party ticket. He was the runner up, Hick got 51%, Tancredo 36% and Dan Maes 11%. I think his weak spot is immigration, he's quite outspoken on the subject and that's going to make it tough in Denver/Boulder for him.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Welp, time to get behind Bob.

I sure as hell hope he's being genuine when he says he learned his lesson after the last governor election flop.

Hopefully a healthy amount of letters and some RMGO pressure will keep him on track. These friggin' intrusive and ridiculous magazine and transfer restrictions have GOT to go.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beauprez already was a candidate for governor in 2006 and lost handily to a Democrat (Ritter) who didn't have as much support from the Democrat machine as Hickenlooper nor the name recognition. In that election he lost 56%-to-41%, it was not a close race. What's changed since 2006 that makes us think he'll do any better state-wide? Additional slipping left here and there and no obvious definition of his conservative principles?

You may well be right. However, keep in mind that not only was Beauprez hamstrung by the false allegations and legal challenge levied at him by the Democrats... he was also "torpedoed" by a faction of his own party.

Also, I believe it is possible that, like most of us, politicians can learn from adversity and failure.

Lastly, there are plenty of examples of political candidates who lose in election only to win in another. Abraham Lincoln is just one example.

quote:
Something else that occurred to me was that Tancredo ran against Hickenlooper in 2010 but was on the Constitution Party ticket. He was the runner up, Hick got 51%, Tancredo 36% and Dan Maes 11%. I think his weak spot is immigration, he's quite outspoken on the subject and that's going to make it tough in Denver/Boulder for him.

Yes, that election was a G.O.P. disaster. Once burned and twice shy... I believe (and hope) that the G.O.P. learned some lessons from that failure.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Welp, time to get behind Bob.

I sure as hell hope he's being genuine when he says he learned his lesson after the last governor election flop.

Agree on getting behind him. Admittedly, I haven't caught up on much of the post-primary dog and pony show. I did catch a couple quick radio interviews with Beauprez in which he stated his gratitude to his supporters and the typical victory sound bites along with the same basic platitudes.

Did Beauprez actually say that he has learned his lesson from the last election?

quote:
Hopefully a healthy amount of letters and some RMGO pressure will keep him on track. These friggin' intrusive and ridiculous magazine and transfer restrictions have GOT to go.

EXACTLY! While some voters choose to support third party candidates or simply not vote at all, this is the strategy I recommend. Support the candidate that best represents your views AND is electable... and should they win, hold their feet to the FIRE (in a political sense) and "remind" them that your support can be withheld as easily as it was given.

Should Beauprez win it is imperative that his supporters "hound" him to honor his Liberty Promise and to respect the wishes of those who helped get him into office.