SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Colorado Free Resistance * FEDERAL JUDGE REVERSES BAN ON 'ASSAULT WEAPONS' & STANDARD CAPACITY MAGAZINES*
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Free Resistance * FEDERAL JUDGE REVERSES BAN ON 'ASSAULT WEAPONS' & STANDARD CAPACITY MAGAZINES* Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Thanks gang, I've got a long road to recovery ahead of me.

In any case, I'll pitch in when I'm able to but in the mean time... fight the good fight!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colomtn:
What I can't figure out is that Gardner beat Udall, but hick kept his job.

I heard Bloomberg poured some money into the Gov race. Probably keeping his promise to Hick for the signing the GC bills. Also, perhaps Beuprez wasn't the ideal candidate. Although, I'm not sure who would have been.

quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage
With the mid-term elections several weeks in our "rear view" mirror it probably doesn't do much good or hold much interest for discussion...

... however, I can't help but be curious about the Colorado State Senate losses by the incumbents Bernie Herpin and George Rivera. Both of these State Senators won the recall elections in their respective districts by a decent margin only 14 months earlier so I'm trying to understand how these two suddenly lost. In Herpin's case he lost to the ultra- Progressive and rabidly anti-2A Michael Merrifield who was reported to be working closely with Michael Bloomberg on pushing his anti-2A agenda in Colorado.

I think the recall elections were motivators for pro-2A/conservative types to get out and oust Morse and Giron for their part in the GC laws. Pueblo (Giron's former district) is a blue-collar union democrat stronghold. In a general election, it was doubtful the R's were going to hold that. As I understand it, Morse's former district in The Springs was a swing district and he got elected in it, so I would assume it leans Dem. Given Merrifield worked for Bloomberg, Bloomy likely threw money in there, as well.

MDS, I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of colomtn
posted Hide Post
Republican lawmakers introduced two new bills in an effort to repeal Colorado’s magazine capacity limit and the state’s universal background check law.

I would be pleasantly surprised if these two new bill become law.

My grandfather voted republican until the day he died, now he votes democrat.

Posts: 4346 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: August 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Republican lawmakers introduced two new bills in an effort to repeal Colorado’s magazine capacity limit and the state’s universal background check law.

I read about this is an email from the NRA yesterday. Not one word from the MSM. I hope they pass these too.

ETA: Here is the link to the nraila site with the proposed laws:
https://www.nraila.org/article...ong-pro-gun-activity

"Yesterday, the 2015 legislative session kicked off and brought a solid list of pro-gun legislation to benefit law-abiding gun owners and sportsmen across the state.

House Bill 1009, introduced by state Representative Steve Humphrey (R-48), would repeal the rights-infringing legislation passed into law during the 2013 legislative session that arbitrarily limits the number of rounds of ammunition you can use to protect yourself and your family to 15 rounds.

House Bill 1049, introduced by state Representative Justin Everett (R-22), would extend the protection and right to self-defense you currently have in your home to your place of business.

House Bill 1050, introduced by state Representative Janik Joshi (R-16), would repeal the onerous and ineffective private transfer background check law that passed during the 2013 legislative session.

Senate Bill 32, introduced by state Senator Vicki Marble (R-23), would allow all law-abiding Colorado residents to legally carry concealed without having to possess a concealed carry permit. This bill would also keep in place the current permitting system so that people who obtain a permit will still enjoy reciprocity in states around the country when legally carrying concealed.

The bills listed above have already received committee assignments, but no hearing dates have been scheduled. Please stay tuned to your email inbox and www.nraila.org for further updates on these bills and others as the 2015 legislative session progresses."

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
quote:

I read about this is an email from the NRA yesterday. Not one word from the MSM. I hope they pass these too.

It was covered at the beginning of this piece in the Colorado Springs Gazette.

First day of Colorado legislative session targets gun control, abortion laws

I hope these pass, as well. The house will be the hurdle, then Hick's desk.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks Storm. We don't get the Gazette way down here Wink.

I realize it's early, but it sure seemed like when they wanted to pass these laws in 2013, it was all you heard or saw on the radio or TV. Now these bills come out, and crickets. I'm willing to bet the majority of Coloradans know nothing about these bills yet.

Mike

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the updates & links gang! I had checked the Denver Post but didn't immediately find any reference to the newly introduced bills... after some digging I found them briefly mentioned in an article that focused more on the first day of the new legislature.

I'm a little miffed that I didn't receive the NRA update... I sure receive enough email updates on my NRA benefits.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of colomtn
posted Hide Post
Received this information from the good folks over at the Colorado Second Amendment Association,

Thus far, there have been 4 bills introduced to the State Legislature that favor our right to keep and bear arms. The deadline for legislation to be introduced is January 28th for the House of Representatives and January 23rd for the Senate. As we did last year, this year we will keep track of the legislation on our Bill Tracker page and keep you all apprised of any new bills, or movement on existing bills.

Here is a list and short description of the 4 bills that have been introduced to date:

House Bill 1009, introduced by state Representative Steve Humphrey (R-48). The bill repeals statutory provisions prohibiting the possession of large-capacity ammunition magazines and requiring identification markings to be placed upon large-capacity magazines that are manufactured in Colorado. This is a repeal of the magazine ban that was foisted upon us in 2013.

House Bill 1049, introduced by state Representative Justin Everett (R-22). The bill extends the right to use deadly force against an intruder under certain conditions to include owners, managers, and employees of businesses.

House Bill 1050, introduced by state Representative Janik Joshi (R-16). The bill repeals the requirement that before any person who is not a licensed gun dealer transfers possession of a firearm to a transferee, he or she must require that a criminal background check be conducted of the prospective transferee and must obtain approval of the transfer from the Colorado bureau of investigation (CBI). The bill repeals the requirement that CBI impose a fee for performing an instant criminal background check pursuant to the transfer of a firearm. This is another repeal of a bill that was pushed onto us in 2013.

Senate Bill 32, introduced by state Senator Vicki Marble (R-23). The bill allows a person who legally possesses a handgun under state and federal law to carry a concealed handgun in Colorado. A person who carries a concealed handgun under the authority created in the bill has the same carrying rights and is subject to the same limitations that apply to a person who holds a permit to carry a concealed handgun under current law, including the prohibition on the carrying of a concealed handgun on the grounds of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school. This bill would grant us constitutional carry, which is already legal in Arizona, Alaska, Oklahoma, Vermont and Wyoming.

Posts: 4346 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: August 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Here is the update I got today from NRA ILA:

"Last Friday, January 16, additional pro-gun legislation was introduced to protect Colorado business owners who respect your right to carry concealed.

House Bill 1127, introduced by state Representative Gordon Klingenshmitt (R-15), would grant immunity from civil liability to places of business which recognize your right to protection and self-defense by respecting your right to carry concealed on the property. This bill has been assigned to the House Committee on State, Veterans and Military Affairs but no hearing date has been set yet. Please stay tuned to your email inbox and www.nraila.org for further updates on this bill.

In addition, three bills which are vital to protecting your Second Amendment rights have been scheduled for their respective committee hearings in early February.

On Monday, February 2, the House Committee on State, Veterans and Military Affairs will hold a hearing at 1:30 P.M. in Room 271 to hear testimony on the following three pro-gun bills, all of which benefit law-abiding gun owners:

House Bill 1009, introduced by state Representative Steve Humphrey (R-48), would repeal the rights-infringing legislation passed into law during the 2013 legislative session that arbitrarily limits the number of rounds you can use to protect yourself and your family to 15 rounds.

House Bill 1049, introduced by state Representative Justin Everett (R-22), would extend the protection and right to self-defense you currently have in your home, to your place of business.

House Bill 1050, introduced by state Representative Janik Joshi (R-16), would repeal the ineffective and rights-infringing private transfer background check law that passed during the 2013 legislative session.

Please call and email members of the House State, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee and urge them to support HB 1009, HB 1049 and HB 1050. These important pro-gun bills are critical to restoring your rights in the Centennial State!

House State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee Members:

Representative Su Ryden (D-36), Chairman, Majority Deputy Whip (303) 866-2942 su.ryden.house@state.co.us

Representative Joe Salazar (D-31), Vice-Chairman (303) 866-2918 joseph.salazar.house@state.co.us

Representative Mike Foote (D-12) (303) 866-2920 mike.foote.house@state.co.us

Representative Steve Humphrey (R-48) (303) 866-2943 rephumphrey48@yahoo.com

Representative Susan Lontine (D-1) (303) 866-2966 susan.lontine.house@state.co.us

Representative Patrick Neville (R-45) (303) 866-2948 patrick.neville.house@state.co.us

Representative Dianne Primavera (D-33) (303) 866-4667 dianne.primavera.house@state.co.us

Representative Jack Tate (R-37) (303) 866-5510 jack.tate.house@state.co.us

Representative Dan Thurlow (R-55) (303) 866-3068 danthurlow55@gmail.com

Representative Max Tyler (D-23) (303) 866-2951 max@maxtyler.us

Representative Yeulin Willett (R-54) (303) 866-2583 yeulin.willett.house@state.co.us"

Mike

Picture of colomtn
posted Hide Post
Received the following info from the folks at the Colorado 2nd Amendment Association.

"Four Democrats have remembered their obligation to the people of Colorado and are prepared to vote for repeal of the magazine limit forced on us by their cohorts (in several case, former cohorts) in 2013.

Representative Vigil's courage may inspire others to break ranks and do the same. They will not get the chance to do so if SB-175 is sent to a house "kill committee.
You need to contact house speaker Dickey Hullinghorst (D-Boulder) and insist that this bill not be sent to a "kill committee" if it is passed on the Senate.

Be polite, be concise, but be persistent and insistent. Contact her by phone and email today and every day until the bill is heard.

Dickey Hullinghorst contact info is listed below.

DICKEY HULLINGHORST
Majority Leader
State Representative - District 10
Office Location: 200 East Colfax
Denver, CO 80203
Capitol Phone: 303-866-2348
E-Mail: dl.hullinghorst.house@state.co.us

SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Got this from the NRA via email today:

Link: https://www.nraila.org/article...-in-senate-committee

As previously reported, after the unfortunate and politically motivated dismissal of House Bill 1009 by anti-gun legislators in the House Committee on State, Veterans and Military Affairs earlier this month, Senators Chris Holbert (R-30) and John Cooke (R-13) reintroduced the same bill in the Senate with Senate Bill 175.  SB 175 has been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee and will be heard next Monday, February 23, at 1:30 P.M. in Room 352.

SB 175 would repeal the rights-infringing legislation passed into law during the 2013 legislative session that arbitrarily limits the number of rounds of ammunition you can use to protect yourself and your family to 15.  However, this critical legislation needs your active support. 

Please consider attending Monday’s hearing and giving testimony on behalf of this bill restoring your inherent right to self-defense. If you cannot attend, please use the contact information provided below to call and email members of the Committee and urge them to vote in support of SB 175.  Please forward this email to friends, family and fellow Second Amendment supporters and encourage them to do the same.

Senate Judiciary Committee:

Senator Ellen Roberts (R-6), Chairman
(303) 866- 4884
ellen.roberts.senate@state.co.us    

Senator Kevin Lundberg (R-15), Vice-Chairman
(303) 866-4853
kevin@kevinlundberg.com

Senator John Cooke (R-13)
(303) 866-4451
john.cooke.senate@state.co.us  

Senator Lucia Guzman (D-34)
(303) 866-4862
lucia.guzman.senate@state.co.us

Senator Michael Merrifield (D-11)
(303) 866-6364
michael.merrifield.senate@state.co.us

Mike

Picture of colomtn
posted Hide Post
quote:
please use the contact information provided below to call and email members of the Committee and urge them to vote in support of SB 175. Please forward this email to friends, family and fellow Second Amendment supporters and encourage them to do the same.

I plan on contacting these folks on Friday as well as passing the info along.

Thanks for the update.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
As a non-resident with family in CO, SB 32 is the most significant to me.

Any realistic chance of this passing? Somehow, I doubt it, but I'm not there and I've been amazed at the way "constitutional carry" has been adopted in other states so (relatively) rapidly.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reported in the Pueblo Chieftain newspaper this morning, so-called 'constitutional carry' bill has passed the Colorado Senate on a straight party-line vote (18-17). Now goes to the House, where party affiliations appear to be strongly opposed.

One step at a time. The anti-gun crowd will never stop, we can never stop.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
SB 175 will be heard today. I know the whole state is covered in about a foot of snow, but if anyone in the Denver area can make it, please do so. Thanks.

Mike

SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Just getting home from helping my dad shovel 2 feet of snow at his house, and had this email from the NRA/ILA:

"Unfortunately, today’s scheduled hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Senate Bill 175 has been postponed and has not yet been rescheduled.

This critical legislation would repeal the rights-infringing legislation passed into law during the 2013 legislative session that arbitrarily limits the number of rounds of ammunition you can use to protect yourself and your family to 15. 

We thank those of you who were planning to attend and give testimony, and will keep you updated when the hearing has been rescheduled.  In the meantime, please continue contacting members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and politely asking them for their support of SB 175 when it comes before them for a hearing." (My note, please use the contact info above).

Perhaps the weather was worse than expected. I'll wait to hear of the other date and try to keep everyone posted.

Mike

SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
From the NRAILA today:

Senate Bill 175, a bill that would repeal the rights-infringing legislation passed into law during the 2013 legislative session that arbitrarily limits the number of rounds of ammunition you can use to protect yourself and your family to 15, has been scheduled for a hearing by the Senate Judiciary Committee next Monday, March 9,at 1:30 P.M. in Room 271 of the Capitol.  It is critical that you attend this hearing and express your support for SB 175.

Mike

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Humble reminder.

Monday. I wish I could be there.

Please write letters if you have not already and urge support for SB 175.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Bump for a reminder. Today is the day. Please attend if you can. Smile

Mike

Picture of colomtn
posted Hide Post
SB-175 repeal of the magazine ban has passed out of committee.

The bill passed out of committee today and will next be considered by the Senate as a whole.