SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    How to gift P239 to my CA physician daughter?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to gift P239 to my CA physician daughter? Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted
Although I never thought she'd be interested, events in her hometown have her now agreeing a handgun is good idea. Can I simply bring it with me while visiting, or does it need to be transferred to her through a FFL in SoCal?

Does she need a license of some sort in CA?

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
To do it legally, assuming a P239 is on the CA approved list, you have to ship it to an FFL in CA and then she goes there and does the paperwork and waits the 10 days or whatever it is there.

I bought my P239 from a CA resident through this board, but it was many years ago, so I don't know if they're still on the approved list.

But if you visit her? Yeah, just bring it to her and tell it needs to stay in the family. No one needs to know about that stuff.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
As a physician she has too much to loose to do anything other than a 100% legitimate transfer via a California federal firearms licensee.

There are four P239 variants on the CADOJ Roster of Approved Handguns:

Sig Sauer, Inc. (Sauer, J.P. & Sons, Sig Arms) P239 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy, .357 SIG

Sig Sauer, Inc. (Sauer, J.P. & Sons, Sig Arms) P239 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy, .40 S&W,

Sig Sauer, Inc. (Sauer, J.P. & Sons, Sig Arms) P239 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy, 9mm

Sig Sauer, Inc. (Sauer, J.P. & Sons, Sig Arms) P239 SAS (2 Tone) 239-40-SAS / Stainless Steel, Polymer, .40S&W

The gun must meet every portion of the description. For example, a P239 SAS MUST BE two-tone, and in.40S&W. A two-tone in 9mm would not be on the roster.

To ship it there, you need a license in Montana who has a California Firearms Licensee Check System certificate to send it there.

She also has to take the mandated training.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31378 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Not sure if the roster has any bearing on intrafamily transfers, but she would need to obtain something called a FSC (firearms safety certificate).
It's basically a test she has to take at any FFL, then she is given a card thats good for several years.
It is required for purchases and transfers, unless she is is exempt such as having a CCW.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, I was hoping it wouldn't be complicated. She may have either of my P239's; both are blued slide and frame, both are 357 Sig but I have a new, unused 40 barrel.
One is SAS, the other plain old P239.

Are you saying both guns aren't legal in California because they don't have SS slides?

I'd just give it to her and tell her it's mine if anyone asks, but she's a straight and narrow doc with a good job at Kaiser. I'm sure she'll want to do this correctly. Not exempt, and I doubt if CCW is easy to obtain in Orange County.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aileron,

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All 239 slides are stainless steel, whether finished in Nitron or not. Same applies to all the USA manufactured Sigs currently sold, far as I know. Some of our very knowledgeable members will hopefully chime in and confirm this.

Posts: 1637 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:

...I'm sure she'll want to do this correctly...

The simplest way might be to give her the $$ and let her buy what she wants from a CA FFL.

/sarcasm mode on/

See, gun laws DO work!

/sarcasm mode off/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Actually, Orange County is probable one of the best jurisdictions in CA to get a permit.

https://www.californiagunpermi...ermit-in-the-oc.html

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Ha, I thought about just giving her the $$$ and telling her to go get a P239, but apparently Sig has discontinued the model. I had her shoot a few Glocks, my GP100, my P226, 227, 228, 229 and 239 when she was up visiting. Far and away she liked (and shot well) my 357Sig P239 best.

I sent her the link on OC CCW training; thank you .

Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Aileron, I have a 239 in 40/357 that fits your needs. Let me know if you want it. Can send a Pic if you need.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The roster doesn't come into play for a intrafamily transfer, but the FFL does.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation...._Some_Family_Members

See the bottom of the above link for more information.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

The gun must meet every portion of the description. For example, a P239 SAS MUST BE two-tone, and in.40S&W. A two-tone in 9mm would not be on the roster.

Did an interior decorator get to write this law? California is run by literal insanity.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
The roster doesn't come into play for a intrafamily transfer, but the FFL does.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation...._Some_Family_Members

See the bottom of the above link for more information.

^^^^ Thanks for this, it seems I can simply take a P239 with me when I visit my daughter later in April. I'll task her with finding a cooperative FFL who can accept the gun face-to-face from me. She'll be 37 in a few weeks, it can be her birthday present. I've told her to figure out how to get her safety certificate (license??) in advance of the Sig.

posted Hide Post
shipping to her FFL may be easier. If it is up and down the family tree, out of state transfers are legal even if the gun is off roster. She will need to find a local FFL who understands current (the several years old) law. She WILL however have to take the basic safety test and thats good for like 5 years I think. ~30 moronic questions.

unless you have a CA issued ID, I'm afraid no FFL will handle a face to face transfer since you are not a CA resident.

her getting a CCW ? now thats the unicorn.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
This problem has a very simple solution. She needs to get the Hell out of CA and live somewhere that people are free. She can get a job anywhere. Places are begging for doctors. Just some good advice from the free state of Tennessee. If she moves here I'll give her one.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by black1970:
This problem has a very simple solution. She needs to get the Hell out of CA and live somewhere that people are free. She can get a job anywhere. Places are begging for doctors. Just some good advice from the free state of Tennessee. If she moves here I'll give her one.

Well there it is. So simple.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fully agree on the move thing if possible. Here in Arizona we have places begging for doctors great climate low taxes and constitutional carry! Recruiters would be all over helping here move some places even have sign on bonuses

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
unless you have a CA issued ID, I'm afraid no FFL will handle a face to face transfer since you are not a CA resident.
Is this specific to California?

Reason I ask -- my FFL guy here in Florida tells me that it is 100% legit for him to accept a handgun in person from a non-Florida resident, to be transferred to a Florida resident.

In other words, if I were to buy a pistol from somebody who lives in Ohio (just as an example, any state would do), that Ohio resident could walk into my local Florida FFL and hand the pistol over to him, for transfer to me. In this sense it really does not matter how the Ohio person gets the pistol to my FFL. It could be shipped, transported in person, sent by Pony Express, etc.

Is there something about California that is different?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Reason I ask -- my FFL guy here in Florida tells me that it is 100% legit for him to accept a handgun in person from a non-Florida resident, to be transferred to a Florida resident.

In other words, if I were to buy a pistol from somebody who lives in Ohio (just as an example, any state would do), that Ohio resident could walk into my local Florida FFL and hand the pistol over to him, for transfer to me. In this sense it really does not matter how the Ohio person gets the pistol to my FFL. It could be shipped, transported in person, sent by Pony Express, etc.

Yes, specific to this commie state.

As intra family I believe you can just give it to her (in person) though the magazines can only hold a 10 round max. Just remember you're gifting it to her.

She will also need to contribute to the states coffers by sending it $20 and a form telling them she received it.

Check out calguns.net and ask there.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Yes, specific to this commie state.

As intra family I believe you can just give it to her (in person) though the magazines can only hold a 10 round max. Just remember you're gifting it to her.

She will also need to contribute to the states coffers by sending it $20 and a form telling them she received it.

Check out calguns.net and ask there.

Check with someone who knows for sure, but I don’t believe that a resident of one state can give a firearm to a resident of another state. I believe this is a Federal law, not a CA issue (though there are plenty of those). Oh, and the CA registration fee is $19.

ETA: See question #5 http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubf...rms/pdf/index.php#20

Can I give a firearm to my adult child? Can he/she give it back to me later?
Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category PDF logo [PDF 10 kb / 1 pg] and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit a Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction PDF logo [PDF 481 kb / 2 pg] and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days. Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion. See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision (b).

(PC section 12078(c))

This answer doesn’t say anything about an HSC, but I’d assume one was needed unless a careful read of the laws around the HSC convinced one that it only applied to dealer transfers.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post