SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    IL non-res. Only residents of four states can apply.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IL non-res. Only residents of four states can apply. Login/Join 
posted
1. Arkansas, 2. Mississippi 3. Texas 4. Virginia

I live in adjacent IA, have IA and UT permits, but I cannot get IL even if I take the full 16 hour IL class. Does that make any sense?

Sorry, that was a dumb question.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

NON-RESIDENTS In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.

Note: Only residents of the states listed above have been approved by the Illinois State Police to apply for an Illinois Non-Resident Permit. They will update this list if other states have criteria that meet their stands www.handgunlaw.us 4 for their residents. Illinois law states you must have a permit/license from your home state if applicable to apply for an Illinois permit. If you don’t have your resident permit/license Handgunlaw.us at this times believes you can not apply for an Illinois Non Resident Permit to Carry and will only accept applications from residents of states listed above. The US Court of Appeals 7th District upheld the Illinois practice of only issuing to non- residents of the states listed above. You can read the ruling Here.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm insulted that IL considers VA laws to be "similar" to IL.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
What happened to New Mexico? It used to be on their list...

Posts: 917 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
16 hours is bullshit.

Need the ISRA to start working that bullshit out of there.

I don't enjoy going to IL but wife has family there, hopefully not for long as they're talking about moving here, but I would like the option of carrying on person instead of just in the car.

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

I live in adjacent IA, have IA and UT permits, but I cannot get IL even if I take the full 16 hour IL class. Does that make any sense?

Sorry, that was a dumb question.

NON-RESIDENTS In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.

Note: Only residents of the states listed above have been approved by the Illinois State Police to apply for an Illinois Non-Resident Permit. They will update this list if other states have criteria that meet their stands www.handgunlaw.us 4 for their residents. Illinois law states you must have a permit/license from your home state if applicable to apply for an Illinois permit. If you don’t have your resident permit/license Handgunlaw.us at this times believes you can not apply for an Illinois Non Resident Permit to Carry and will only accept applications from residents of states listed above. The US Court of Appeals 7th District upheld the Illinois practice of only issuing to non- residents of the states listed above. You can read the ruling Here.

I'm 5 mins away from IL state line on KY side... Every time I even think I might set foot on IL, I have to unload my trunk.

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I'm in MS, and travel to Chiraq at least once a year, often twice or 3 times. Will Chicago have local laws that override any usefulness of this legislation for me?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not so far. I am a Virginia resident (Virginia got included because McCalluseless was our current governor) and managed to get the 16 hours of "Training" required locally in Virginia. No local ordinance (Including Morton Grove) can supersede the state regulations and permits. (Not s far anyway).
Be prepared to have a anal proctoscope applied when any Chicago police (Thug) inspects you and examines your Non Resident License. Some of them don't really believe that they exist.

Remember the 1st rule. It's always loaded.

Posts: 108 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: November 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that your home state CCW permit will probably NOT be recognized by the State of IL. BUT, You can take the IL. 16hr. CCW course as a out of state resident, pay a $300 out of state license fee for 5yrs.and pass the IL. State Police background check, this would get you a IL CCW permit.
Unless this has ALL changed.

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
My understanding is that your home state CCW permit will probably NOT be recognized by the State of IL. BUT, You can take the IL. 16hr. CCW course as a out of state resident, pay a $300 out of state license fee for 5yrs.and pass the IL. State Police background check, this would get you a IL CCW permit.
Unless this has ALL changed.

I have not heard that. I live just across the river, and I would think local instructors would share that with IA permit holders who spend time in IL. If it's changed Gary Slider has not updated his site, which is usually very accurate.

NON-RESIDENTS
In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.

Note: Only residents of the states listed above have been approved by the Illinois State Police to apply for an Illinois Non-Resident Permit. They will update this list if other states have criteria that meet their stands for their residents. Illinois law states you must have a permit/license from your home state if applicable to apply for an Illinois permit. If you don’t have your resident permit/license Handgunlaw.us at this times believes you can not apply for an Illinois Non Resident Permit to Carry and will only accept applications from residents of states listed above. The US Court of Appeals 7th District upheld the Illinois practice of only issuing to non- residents of the states listed above...

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I checked in with a old friend who is a Firearms instructor for the IL. State Police.
He told me the law changed about 1 year after it went into effect. It used to be that out of State residents could get a CCW in IL. if they paid $300 and took the 16 hr CCW training.
As reported, NOT ANY MORE.

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shikemd:
What happened to New Mexico? It used to be on their list...

During the first week of Feb 2017 the state of Illinois revised the list of states whose residents they
would issue non-resident permits to. They only listed four states and removed three they did list and added
three different ones that they say meet their criteria. The non-residents from those three states that no longer
met their criteria who had obtained an Illinois Non-Resident permit received a letter stating that their Illinois
Non-Resident permit was no longer valid. Y

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The solution is easy, stay out of Illinois. The state doesn't offer much unless you are an illegal, a welfare queen or an otherwise moocher, thug, corrupt politician, liberal, progressive democrat!

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
The solution is easy, stay out of Illinois. The state doesn't offer much unless you are an illegal, a welfare queen or an otherwise moocher, thug, corrupt politician, liberal, progressive democrat!
Yup. My parents live in IL and we visit once every 5 or 10 years. Otherwise I'd never set foot there.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:

My range is just across the river in IL. In fact, I'm headed that way in two hours, bringing an AR, 870, and G-43.

http://www.milanrifle.club/

I'll escape from occupied territory as soon as I'm done shooting.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting that link.

I asked seven different people in and around tiny town and not a single person knows about this place.

I've only been looking for a place for 5 years

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I just avoid IL at all costs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post