SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Gun Prices

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Gun Prices Login/Join 
posted
I wasn't 'active' with shooting during the last ammo grab, so I was curious...when these things happen, and ammo is flying off the shelves at warp speed, do guns themselves become hard to get also? Obviously, AR/AK's etc will go, I realize that, but what about defense pistols?
I'm considering buying a new 229 SAS...will the availability of these get worse along with a price increase?
It's speculative I know, so I guess we'll find out for sure in the days immediately after Nov 8th.

Posts: 122 | Location: New Orleans  | Registered: August 29, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, gun prices DID go up after the last change in regimes (not the last Presidential election, but the one before that). Given one candidate has pretty well pledged the end of gun ownership I would HAVE to believe the same will be true this time around.

I don't think it will be availability so much as price increase -- my gut tells me around 10-20% increase this year (and perhaps more in the coming years as pressure starts to come true). A packed Supreme court that is anti-gun may spell REALLY high gun prices.

If I were planning on buying a gun in the next two-three months I would not wait and get it now (if your time frame is a lot longer, say six months or more, than I'd wait and see if hysteria dies down. Or increases. You pays your money and takes your chances).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Report This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've seen availability of some handguns affected in a scare as manufacturers struggle to keep up.

Posts: 1295 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
Picture of RHINOWSO
posted Hide Post
After Sandy Hook, anything AR was impossible to find, 556 was $0.50 and more a round, and popular Glock 9MM / 40SW and some other handguns were hard to find.

If there is something you want / plan on buying, can find it for a normal price now, and have the means to buy it, you are a fool for not doing it.

read what you want
watch what you want
play what you want
think what you want
say what you want

Posts: 34240 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Report This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
He has waited to late for sales,last February was the right time,I pulled the trigger on three.
Now they be regular price with trending upward.

Posts: 20781 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sales, yes, but he's trying to figure out if it's better to buy now or wait some more.

If sales are routine in February he will be better waiting. The real question is the election -- and my gut tells me this is going to be a Bad One for those of us who own guns.

If that IS true it's almost certainly going to affect gun prices for the worse. So I still think that IF he's thinking about something now is the time to do it. But it's really anybody's guess.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 370 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, to buy one. I realize it's a crap shoot, just trying to get some educated opinions.

I'll try to decide next week, as I don't have much time to act; Nov 8th is fast approaching!

Posts: 122 | Location: New Orleans  | Registered: August 29, 2016Report This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
If you can live without it, be prepared to wait a year or more for good deals to crop up again.

If you can't live without it, buy now.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

...If there is something you want / plan on buying, can find it for a normal price now, and have the means to buy it, you are a fool for not doing it.

Yup. Buy it now.

Posts: 11833 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and I don't know if this is any help or not, but I JUST (last night) bought a pistol (the P225-a1) at a deal that I really couldn't afford, for exactly these sorts of reasons. I'm positive it will still be available after November, but most likely at at least 20-30% more than I was able to get it now.

I never regret the things I've done, only those I've never done.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys; you're confirming what my instincts have been telling me, but it's always nice to get validation, just to be sure.

posted Hide Post
And it's already starting:

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.co...due-increased-sales/

(For those of you who don't want to read the article, basically increased sales are already starting some panic buying and the NICS system is being changed to try and deal with this).

It's only a matter of days, then, when we will see prices start to reflect this (it will get to be a seller's market quickly). Act now and forever hold your piece, so to speak.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

posted Hide Post
Wow! Obama got the title of 'the best guns salesman in the country', but it seems as though HRC, should she get in, will make him look like an amateur!

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons:
And it's already starting:

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.co...due-increased-sales/

(For those of you who don't want to read the article, basically increased sales are already starting some panic buying and the NICS system is being changed to try and deal with this).

It's only a matter of days, then, when we will see prices start to reflect this (it will get to be a seller's market quickly). Act now and forever hold your piece, so to speak.

Cheaper than Dirt? Really? That is the barometer that you are using? The ones who gouged $70 per box of 9mm, and $100 PMAGs? They have lots of reason to want to spread the news of impending doom. I'm sure that they are also saying "as soon as Hillary is elected" too.
Yeah, why worry about the complications of the whole election process, CNN has already decreed that she is the winner, right? Be damned the will of the people and whatnot.

Everyplace I look, I can find 226 magazines at normal prices. 9mm and .223 ammo at regular prices. I bought a case of 9mm Winchester 100 round packs on sale at Rural King for $19 per 100 round pack. Looking online, I can find just about anything I want at prices as reasonable as what they have been.

Cheaper than Dirt is just wanting to stoke the fire as there is money to be made. It is hardly the sign that anything is "starting".

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 29398 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
They quote facts, unlike your slur on their site.

We can question motives, but facts are another matter.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seriously? Are actually trying to claim that there's no evidence that CTD gouged prices during the last panic?

Are those enough facts for you?

I'm astonished that anyone would still support CTD after what they pulled.

Posts: 17720 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah, doesn't take a genius, does it?

It would make you question the motives of anyone that would defend Cheaper Than Dirt, wouldn't it?

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 29398 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, doesn't take a genius, does it?

supporting CTD is dumber than dirt LOL

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 10034 | Location: Mouseville, FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

We can question motives, but facts are another matter.

Yo, Toons, where did you go? I want to hear more about the "facts" compared to my "slur". Do you work for "Dumber than Dirt" or are you just a shill of theirs? Or are you just a troll? Either you have to be really uneducated, or you are a troll. Which is it?

I love when people start to cry about these mean and hateful "slurs". Sorry pal, it ain't a slur if it is true. Your bullshit is straight out of the Hillary playbook. Never let a good crisis go to waste. What's next for you? Will you accuse Rogue of photoshopping all those screen grabs that we all remember post Sandy Hook to try to spin it for your buddies?

Please, do tell us more of your genius wisdom. You seem to have it all figured out.