SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Update on transport of personal firearms on base...

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update on transport of personal firearms on base... Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
...At least for Kirtland AFB.

Folks can now transport personal firearms in their vehicle IF:

1. It is unloaded, including the magazine(s).
2. It is out of reach of the driver.
3. It is locked up.

Whoopee. This will make a hell of a difference when some lone-prick decides to start shooting. Roll Eyes

Still, a step in the right direction. Anyone else know of similar changes at other military installations?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 13506 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Days of yore (2001) we could transport guns on base to work as long as we were, after work going to the skeet range.

Posts: 8736 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
This policy change has me considering a change in the way I carry. The biggest issue I see with compliance is if I want to carry off base, when driving to work I must stop and unload my pistol before coming through the gate, and then do the opposite when leaving. That's a lot of loading/unloading in a vehicle that I would prefer to avoid. I see a couple options. The first is to get a revolver (I have never carried one), preferably one that can accept moon clips. The second is to use a semi-auto without a round in the chamber. This second option goes against years of training and all prevailing recommendations.

The other day I rode my bicycle in to work. On the way home I encountered, in two separate instances, sketchy looking guys wearing dark hoodies (with the hood up) in 100° weather. I gave each a wide berth and made it home without incident, but now I've been wondering how this policy might apply to bicycles. I carry my stuff in a set of pannier bags mounted on a rear rack and could accommodate a lock box. However the prospect of handling a firearm on a public street near a base gate sounds like an extraordinarily bad idea. I think there is not a workable solution to the bike question.

One final thought. Despite the fact that this policy was effective in March but not highlighted until July, I am encouraged that they did put it on the front page of the base paper. It was quite the surprise to see it so prominently displayed. Perhaps in another decade they'll rescind some of the conditions for bringing a firearm on base.

Posts: 787 | Location: Whoa, slow down there maestro. There's a NEW Mexico? | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
While I'm not a bike rider, I agree that there doesn't seem to be a good way to mesh this policy with a cyclist.

I like the idea of a motor vehicle + revolver. That would be better than loading/unloading magazines each time I want to pass through the gates. Now I just need to get a revolver...

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 13506 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Now I just need to get a revolver...

I just posted this looking for ideas on that. I figured it would get more visibility in the pistol section.

Posts: 787 | Location: Whoa, slow down there maestro. There's a NEW Mexico? | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Eglin AFB is still prohibited for CCW, and for anyone who is not LEOSA or of several Military Security Forces assigned to Eglin, Duke and Hurlburt Fields.

(But keeping firearms in Base Housing is allowed, so I don't know how this washes with traveling to and from quarters since you enter the base to and from base housing. Firearms kept in Housing must be registered with EAFB Security Pass and ID)

Hurlburt does now allow CCW and is reciprocal to other states CCW with Florida.

Firearms must remain in vehicles while on Hurlburt, with the exception of the gun range activities.

Eglin has no plans of following Hurlburt policies.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posts: 34239 | Location: My Happy Little Tire Swing | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
Interesting that different AFB's have different policies. I've heard rumors that it is up the base commander. That could really create some confusion given that they change over every couple years. I would love to see a uniform DoD policy on this issue, or at least a service-level policy.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Many installations have unique security issue and missions.

Not all can have a "one policy for all" unless it is the "no one may carry a personal weapon while on this installation".

For example, "boot camp" bases, and some training bases due to close quaterung of single troops with a stressful daily regimen and hours of isolation . I have seen what young troops in such environments are capable of doing.

No "one size fits all" solution for ccw.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posts: 34239 | Location: My Happy Little Tire Swing | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shikemd:
Interesting that different AFB's have different policies. I've heard rumors that it is up the base commander. That could really create some confusion given that they change over every couple years. I would love to see a uniform DoD policy on this issue, or at least a service-level policy.
Without doing the research for specific regulations and having spent over 20 yrs in the army as an MP I will say this: Unless times have changed the post or base Commander has the authority to regulate private use of firearms on his base. Most often as you enter a base there will be a big sign telling you what the regulation are. Or you can stop at the Provost Marshall's office and get copies of Post regs.

Posts: 1521 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I have seen what young troops in such environments are capable of doing.

No "one size fits all" solution for ccw.

Sounds like the same argument for no-carry on college campuses. The "one size fits all" is to allow carry everywhere.

posted Hide Post
quote:

The "one size fits all" is to allow carry everywhere.

Ye know... like the constitution says.

Posts: 371 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're visiting Alaska next year and I considered bringing a handgun (for two legged predators) but decided to leave it home. We plan to visit several bases (Ft Richardson/ Elmendorf, Clear, Ft Wainwright (where I was stationed many years ago), Eielson, and Greely. Leaving the gun in the hotel is not wise, checking it in with the MPs/SFS just seems like too much hassle.

Posts: 11716 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Eglin AFB is still prohibited for CCW, and for anyone who is not LEOSA or of several Military Security Forces assigned to Eglin, Duke and Hurlburt Fields.

(But keeping firearms in Base Housing is allowed, so I don't know how this washes with traveling to and from quarters since you enter the base to and from base housing. Firearms kept in Housing must be registered with EAFB Security Pass and ID)

Hurlburt does now allow CCW and is reciprocal to other states CCW with Florida.

Firearms must remain in vehicles while on Hurlburt, with the exception of the gun range activities.

Eglin has no plans of following Hurlburt policies.

Hurlburt (to some extent) allows people to be adults and has always been ahead of the curve driving AF policies.

Eglin (and the rest of the CAF) will continue to punish everyone with draconian rules in the interest of "safety"

The part that sucks is when going from Hurlburt to Eglin and you're carrying. This is why I keep a locked case in my vehicle.

Posts: 1302 | Location: Wastin' away in...the Redneck Riviera | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MHolland
posted Hide Post
Anyone know any specifics regarding NAS Pensacola?

Posts: 3316 | Location: SC Lowcountry | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Last time I was at NAS Pensacola it was no firearms on base. I'm LE and checked my weapon at the gate. They were very polite about it.

Posts: 1301 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
...At least for Kirtland AFB.

Folks can now transport personal firearms in their vehicle IF:

1. It is unloaded, including the magazine(s).
2. It is out of reach of the driver.
3. It is locked up.

Whoopee. This will make a hell of a difference when some lone-prick decides to start shooting. Roll Eyes

Still, a step in the right direction. Anyone else know of similar changes at other military installations?

Can't speak to that.

I can say, as a civilian, the irony of you folks - whose profession is the use of arms and who are sworn to defend the Constitution- being restricted in your handling and possession of handguns is not lost on all of us.

And, yeah, sigmonkey's point on trainees and/or special situations is valid- sure exceptions can and should exist.

Adult supervision has returned, however, and one hopes sanity will soon prevail.

Posts: 10889 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post