SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Drivel from Senator Tillis, R-NC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drivel from Senator Tillis, R-NC Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted
A new wonderful form letter from Senator Thom of NC, in response to me sending an email on the recent idiocy.

“Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you.

The Second Amendment places Constitutional protections on the right to bear arms for all law abiding citizens, whether for self-defense, hunting, or recreation. The fact remains that the Second Amendment protects the fundamental rights of law abiding citizens – which cannot be unduly stripped away. I am a strong advocate of protecting and promoting our Second Amendment rights and have a long history of balancing the protection of these rights with public safety concerns. During my time as Speaker of the North Carolina House of Representatives, I worked to pass laws that defended and promoted the rights of law abiding gun owners. Please know that, as your United States Senator, I will continue to support legislation preserving those rights and oppose legislation preventing law abiding Americans from responsibly exercising their Second Amendment rights.

You may be interested to know that last year, President Trump signed into law S. 2135, the Fix NICS Act. This legislation was introduced by Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) and I was proud to be a co-sponsor. The Fix NICS Act helps to ensure state and federal authorities are reporting accurate information to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) by holding federal agencies accountable for failing to report relevant records and incentivizing states to improve their reporting practices. This bill received strong endorsements from several groups, including the National Rifle Association of America, the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, and the Fraternal Order of Police.

On January 9, 2019, Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) introduced S. 69, the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2019. I am a co-sponsor of this legislation and look forward to supporting it should it come before the full Senate. If enacted, this legislation would amend the federal criminal code to allow individuals who possess valid concealed carry permits in their home state to conceal carry in other states that permit residents to carry a concealed firearm – in accordance with the restrictions of that state.

As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I serve on the committee with jurisdiction over the Second Amendment. Should legislation regarding our Second Amendment rights come before the Judiciary Committee or the full Senate, I will certainly keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again about other important issues.”

Sincerely,

Thom Tillis
U.S. Senator

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
So, you appear to have a Senator who supports Pro- 2A legislation in the form of S.2135 which holds federal agencies responsible for reporting accurate info to NICS background checks, which legislation is supported by the NRA, and he supports S.69 Constitutional Carry by law abiding Conceal Carry holders in other states. I haven't read either piece of legislation and so may be missing some point, but I'm confused by which part you consider drivel Roll Eyes

Hell, most of the time, when writing an elected rep., many of us receive such a non-committal wishy-washy response as to be meaningless, but you appear to have an actual 2A supporting Senator who is willing to push legislation that reflects his support.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Because he brought up one already signed non-controversial law from months ago and one that will never see light of day. And did not address at all the current Red Flag laws, UBC, mag limits or AWB crap, which were the references in my letter.

NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pingman274:
Because he brought up one already signed non-controversial law from months ago and one that will never see light of day. And did not address at all the current Red Flag laws, UBC, mag limits or AWB crap, which were the references in my letter. But at least he sent something.

NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pingman274:
Because he brought up one already signed non-controversial law from months ago and one that will never see light of day. [B]And did not address at all the current Red Flag laws, UBC, mag limits or AWB crap, which were the references in my letter.[/B*]

Ah, ok, so your email to him was in reference to potential legislation that he didn't address specifically, but instead reverted to other legislation he supports...I can understand being disappointed in that. It would have been helpful if you had included that info in your original post when complaining about drivel.

I don't like it when someone, anyone, but especially an elected rep., fails to respond to specific points made in a letter or email...but I expect this tactic from politically saavy reps. that are careful not to take too firm a position on any issue or pending legislation until they know which direction the "political winds" are blowing from.

We know where the Democrats stand on any potential gun control legislation but, unfortunately, there are a number of Republicans who are trying to figure out if/ which gun control measures they can support in order to prove that they've "taken action" while still maintaining their base of supporters...and this goes all the way up to the White House.

Glad you contacted your rep to let him know where you stand. Get your fellow 2A supporters to contact your reps as well and keep the pressure up with letters, phone calls, and emails!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Your complaint sounds like those lefties who are mad at Bernie because he's way too conservative in his answers.

This is a form letter in response to your letter. He didn't write it directly to you. He isn't ignoring you. It's a form letter.

Remember, this letter also goes to those who write in and who WANT your guns gone.

You seriously need to slow down and take a breath from the hysteria.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post