SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Advice-Moving to Oregon.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice-Moving to Oregon. Login/Join 
posted
All the political stuff aside, I am moving to Oregon in two weeks. I have been unable to find any information that relates to firearm owners moving their collections into the state. Has anyone been through the process? Do I need to register as the owner in the state before I move?
Thanks!

Posts: 163 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Their laws are in many ways similar to ours in Washington State. No 'registration' process is currently in effect, but a lot of talk of changing things is always being bandied about out here on the leftist coast.

As to other stuff: private gun sales without an intermediary FFL dealer are illegal except to qualified family members; I think our law in WA was modeled after Oregon's. Their open carry laws are different than ours; I believe them to be more restrictive but I've not done a lot of research on this. When I travel down to the Beaver State I usually just leave my gun at home though I think they allow a handgun to be carried unloaded in the trunk for out-of-state travelers. I do know that they don't have much in the way of reciprocity when it comes to out-of-state CCW permits. They recognize their own CPL and no one else's.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oregon is making a good attempt at being a junior gun hating partner of California...

This group (website) should have most of the information that you are seeking.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/

Posts: 186 | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Their laws are in many ways similar to ours in Washington State. No 'registration' process is currently in effect, but a lot of talk of changing things is always being bandied about out here on the leftist coast.

As to other stuff: private gun sales without an intermediary FFL dealer are illegal except to qualified family members; I think our law in WA was modeled after Oregon's. Their open carry laws are different than ours; I believe them to be more restrictive but I've not done a lot of research on this. When I travel down to the Beaver State I usually just leave my gun at home though I think they allow a handgun to be carried unloaded in the trunk for out-of-state travelers. I do know that they don't have much in the way of reciprocity when it comes to out-of-state CCW permits. They recognize their own CPL and no one else's.

they allow residents of the states they touch
(WA,ID,NV,CA) to apply for out of state CCW's with I believe the sheriff of your choice.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here you go ... https://www.oregonfirearms.org...-owners-beaver-state $12.95 shipping included. Oregon is a shall issue state, but training is required -- typically four or five hours from an approved instructor. You must apply in your county of residence.

If you plan on spending time in Washington, our CHL system does not require training; the application process is easy but you must apply in person.

This will not apply to you as an Oregon resident, but non-residents of Oregon who qualify for an Oregon CHL may now only apply in particular Oregon counties, depending upon their out-of-state county of residence. This new rule has been in effect for about seven years.

Posts: 2160 | Location: Clark County, WA | Registered: December 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

they allow residents of the states they touch
(WA,ID,NV,CA) to apply for out of state CCW's with I believe the sheriff of your choice.

From what I have read, this is basically true, but the individual sheriffs can be more restrictive if they want - e.g., some sheriffs don't do out of state permits at all, others will only do it for residents of a couple of counties right across the state line, etc.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
There's no registration here. Yet.

After the Parkland shooting, the libs here cranked up a ballot measure (#43) that would essentially make all AR owners in Oregon instant felons unless they either turn in or register their guns. NRA sued them and the state supreme court ruled that the language in the measure was too vague. They rewrote it but ran out of time to gather the required number of signatures to get it on the ballot. So it's dead for now, but I'm sure they'll try again next year.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
NRA sued them and the state supreme court ruled that the language in the measure was too vague. They rewrote it but ran out of time to gather the required number of signatures to get it on the ballot. So it's dead for now, but I'm sure they'll try again next year.

I had not heard this. Thanks for the update.

By the way, while were on the topic... Oregon Gun shows had a special form plus a required background check phone call to Salem for used gun transfers between private parties at gun shows. No FFL required.

With the new law that requires FFL transfer, is it easier and perhaps cheaper to show up at a gun show with the buying party, and do the gun show form plus phone call when one wants to do a transfer?

Or did the gun show form change with the new law too?

Sorry to be so out of touch on these ever-changing laws.

For the OP, Oregon isn't too bad yet. You can get a CHL, you can own any gun/rifle/magazine you want, and you can apply for class 3 if that's your bowl of soup. For the CHL, stay out of obvious places like court houses, etc., but no legal problem with carry in malls, restaurants, etc. (unless they exclude you for being some kind of a problem, then you are trespassing)

In my mind, the biggest issue right now is private party transfers.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where in Oregon are you moving to?

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my mind, the biggest issue right now is private party transfers.

as of a couple years back with our Brand New Law, there IS no 'private party transfer', must go thru FFL with both seller & buyer present.

Seller photo ID is shown to the FFL, and purchaser fills out 4473. One of those 2 pays for the transfer. Transfer includes running the 4474 paperwork, making call to get code # from the OSP, which adds $10 to whatever the FFL fee may be.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sigman88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
There's no registration here. Yet.

After the Parkland shooting, the libs here cranked up a ballot measure (#43) that would essentially make all AR owners in Oregon instant felons unless they either turn in or register their guns. NRA sued them and the state supreme court ruled that the language in the measure was too vague. They rewrote it but ran out of time to gather the required number of signatures to get it on the ballot. So it's dead for now, but I'm sure they'll try again next year.

You don't need anything to bring your guns into Oregon at this time but it is only a matter of time before the gun grabbing leftists come after them again.

Watch the following video and advance it to the 1:15 mark. You will hear it straight from the horses mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3ZtfM6pEk

Posts: 439 | Location: PNW | Registered: January 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
You can step right into a war zone out there if you're not careful, stay safe.

https://youtu.be/LefA5FNi7aU

Posts: 10 | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
left the state 15+ years back for AZ. You should have a plan to deal with the "Brown Shirts" in a few more years. JMHO

Carry on

AzCDL
War is less costly than servitude
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Posts: 71 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post