SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Which Non-NRA 2A Group to Join in Florida - Updated 10-14-2020
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Non-NRA 2A Group to Join in Florida - Updated 10-14-2020 Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I live in Central Florida, just a bit north west of the Mouse. I was struck by Modern Day Savage's post in the Virginia Sanctuary City thread that it's important to join local 2A groups as well as national groups.

I am an NRA member, and I write to my county commissioners and state legislators on 2A issues, but I am not a member of a Florida 2A group and would like to consider joining one.

I see that there are Florida Carry and Florida Gun Rights which seem to be local organizations. Are there others in Florida? If not, which of those two is the best?

Is joining a local group better or is joining a second national group the better way to go, such as Gun Owners of America or The Second Amendment Foundation?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I would definitely join the 2nd Amendment Foundation.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm bumping this on the success of the VCDL activities surrounding Lobby Day in Virginia.

Do we have a group in Florida that is the VCDL equivalent?

If we don't, should we start one? We have enough SigForum members in Florida to be off to a pretty good start.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
As a recent transplant I was wondering the same thing. We had a fantastic state group in GA that was instrumental in getting a lot of laws passed or changed. I think strong state level groups are extremely important.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I am trying to find.

Florida Gun Rights advertises themselves as the only "no compromise" group in Florida, and I have read their manifesto, which is gun control ends at the 2A. While I agree with this, I'm not sure that this is the most effective stance to take in a somewhat purple state.

I want to belong to the most effective state level group. One that has contact with legislators and that can make a difference. Not a hard core dissident group that raises money, and voices in back rooms but has no influence.

I'm trying to find out more about FGR, but I haven't found what I am looking for just yet.

I think I will try to call my "guy", Anthony Sabatini, in the FL legislature, and get his take on what is useful.

Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Artie, let us know what you find out.

I am also looking for an influential and effective 2A organization here in FL.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've contacted Anthony Sabatini's non-government email to ask him about this. I don't want to put a request like this in an email that could be found under the sunshine laws.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I met with Anthony Sabatini today, who is my rep in Tallahassee, and a SOLID gun guy.

He tells me that the NRA draws the most water with the general RINO population in the legislature, mostly out of fear, but that the second most effective group, and one which is very active for its members is Florida Gun Rights at https://floridagunrights.org/

I will be joining them to keep supporting gun rights in Florida.