SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Newt Gingrich - Why the Second Amendment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newt Gingrich - Why the Second Amendment Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
A speech given at the NRA Leadership Forum in April, 2012

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Never gets old. Newt Gingrich is an excellent historian and speaker (and was a pretty good Speaker of the House, too).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is why I say free men are oppressed by the ignorance of tyrants and mobs.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
That was excellent. His historical knowledge and his ability to disseminate that knowledge is amazing.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I hope I live long enough to see the day come when the SCOTUS 'has' to finally take up and define what "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" means". Should make for great fun watching cowards like John Roberts pee themselves and squirm over the issue. But in the end, we'll know for certain if the English language really means anything definite, and whether the founders protections for all people will be jettisoned once and for all or upheld.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Excellent!!!

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Land of the free. I hope it stays this way.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I dont believe we ever hear words of Our history spoken by the left side of DC. Perhaps such acknowledgment of America should be a measure of who We give the leadership roles in Government to. Really enjoyed learning more from this.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gingrich touches on something many, many people fail to understand about the Second Amendment- it's in the wording of the amendment itself. The Second Amendment does not say, "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the people shall be granted the right keep and bear arms." Instead, it says "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." This means that the Second Amendment acknowledges the right to keep and bear arms as an existing right. The Second Amendment merely affirms the existence of this right. The right to keep and bear arms is one of the "unalieneable rights" alluded to in the Declaration of Independence- "...that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights".
The Declaration of Independence enumerates certain rights- "...among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness," but these three rights are not the only ones. The right to keep and bear arms is one of these "unalienable rights" because the keeping and bearing of arms protects the life and liberty of the people.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
The bill of rights is not taught enough anymore, therefore many don't understand its importance. This is truly sad.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I'll drop a question here and check back tomorrow evening for others perspectives. Twice, Newt stated the 2nd is a "political right". What did he mean by this ? Also, his reference to "Shall not be abridged" is different to my ears than infringed. Any reason why he stated this? I've heard this many times in my life. Thanks and good night.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Brilliant!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Excellent video, if the year was not mentioned I would think it was current.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
This means that the Second Amendment acknowledges the right to keep and bear arms as an existing right. The Second Amendment merely affirms the existence of this right.

Absolutely THIS .
Even if the 2A was repealed by a new amendment, we still have the right. It was granted by our creator, NOT some politicians.
The BOR doesn’t grant anything. It supposed to put the brakes on govt intervention messing with the very rights we all have from birth.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
The bill of rights is not taught enough anymore, therefore many don't understand its importance. This is truly sad.
It's not the only thing that is not taught enough. How many schools still teach Civics--how our government is supposed to work--or American History--going back more than a decade?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
It's not the only thing that is not taught enough. How many schools still teach Civics--how our government is supposed to work--or American History--going back more than a decade?

flashguy
Given a majority of high school students can't even read or do math at grade level, I would submit public schools teach students nothing of any real value anymore.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Ronald Reagan, 1983:

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
This means that the Second Amendment acknowledges the right to keep and bear arms as an existing right. The Second Amendment merely affirms the existence of this right.

Absolutely THIS .
Even if the 2A was repealed by a new amendment, we still have the right. It was granted by our creator, NOT some politicians.
The BOR doesn’t grant anything. It supposed to put the brakes on govt intervention messing with the very rights we all have from birth.

Further to this point, many of the framers objected to including the bill of rights in the Constitution because they believed it was redundant - the Constitution did not permit Congress to regulate speech, or the exercise of religion, keeping arms, etc.— so there was no need to articulate those limitations. The evolution of that idea into the false one referred to above - that government is the source of rights and has the power to infringe them - is an object lesson in the growth of a leviathan bureaucracy that was never intended to exist.

Posts: 987 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Given the discussion in this thread about 2A rights being unalienable and coming from our creator, not government, I offer this article from USA Today describing the upcoming SCOTUS review of the New York case. I couldn't even get past the phrasing in the title. Either US Today doesn't grasp the truth of the BOR or they are blatantly lying in pursuit of an agenda. Have a read and see what you think.

Supreme Court may expand Second Amendment rights despite repeal of disputed gun restrictions

Excerpt...

If conservatives have their way, the court could extend Second Amendment rights beyond the home, or simply require that lower court judges demand more specific justifications for state and local restrictions.

This statement is horribly wrong on so many fronts. Yea, the signers of the Constitution absolutely believed that citizens should have no rights to keep and bear arms 'outside' of their homes. Roll Eyes Wow, just wow. Roll Eyes