SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Routine traffic stop, officer wants to disarm lawfully carrying civilian
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Routine traffic stop, officer wants to disarm lawfully carrying civilian Login/Join 
posted
how would you feel if during a routine traffic stop. Speeding,turn signal ect. The officer asked if there any weapons in the vehicle .
My response is yes and hand him my drivers licence and permit to carry pistols and revolvers

That officer then request to disarm me, I told him you are granted legal carry rights and I am afforded those same rights I am not a criminal
What gives you the right to remove my side from its inside waist holster
He says he wants to disarm me for his SAFETY.
Well I conceal carry for my SAFETY

How Would you handle a situation simulare to this

Thank you in advance. Toddt

if your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Posts: 133 | Location: enfield ct | Registered: January 23, 2011Report This Post
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
No good can come from refusing.

Specifically, I would request that he remove the holster from my belt (it's IWB held on with clips) rather than removing the gun from the holster, but I would not refuse or argue.

Posts: 2208 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It is a condition of my permit that I have to inform any LEO with whom I have an official conversation. I have not yet been pulled over, but if/when I am, I expect to have my hands on the wheel with my DL, CCW, registration, and proof of insurance in my hands when he gets to my lowered window, with CCW on top. After handing those over, if he wants to disarm me, my issuing agency requires that I let him. I would point out that my P7M8 has an unusual operating system and ask that he undo the snaps and take it holster and all for both our safety. In general, I would attempt to remain as calm and relaxed as possible and not get into a discussion about whether or not I like the idea of him disarming me. I don't, but that really has absolutely nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

If I felt that he did anything unreasonable or rude, I would take it up with his chain of command later.

Yes, he should be able to see my halo and know that disarming me is ridiculous and adds unnecessary risk for both of us. However, life isn't perfect and arguing with him is unlikely to make it better.

YMMV

Posts: 2104 | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Just be tough.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posts: 34239 | Location: My Happy Little Tire Swing | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toddt:
how would you feel if during a routine traffic stop. Speeding,turn signal ect. The officer asked if there any weapons in the vehicle .
My response is yes and hand him my drivers licence and permit to carry pistols and revolvers

That officer then request to disarm me, I told him you are granted legal carry rights and I am afforded those same rights I am not a criminal
What gives you the right to remove my side from its inside waist holster
He says he wants to disarm me for his SAFETY.
Well I conceal carry for my SAFETY

How Would you handle a situation simulare to this

Thank you in advance. Toddt
He has the legal right to take control of your firearm for his protection. More likely he also ran the numbers to see if it was stolen. Either way he has the right to take you gun and it would not be smart to refuse him.

Posts: 1521 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
If I felt that he did anything unreasonable or rude, I would take it up with his chain of command later.

[L]ife isn't perfect and arguing with him is unlikely to make it better.

Well said.

Posts: 17305 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
It depends on the laws in your state with regards to LEO "disarming" you.

In my state (Alaska), for example, although folks are not required to have a CCW permit (Alaska is a constitutional carry state), the LEO may, at his/her discretion, elect to "secure the weapon for the duration of contact" with the person carrying concealed upon their person.

This is provided they know the person is carrying. We find out by asking "are there any firearms in the vehicle"? Again, in Alaska, you are required to let the officer know when you are carrying concealed. This applies to concealed on your person, or within "reach/lunge/grasp" area.

Now, all that being said, this is NEVER a practice I engage in. My feelings are as follows: If a person is exercising his/her constitutional rights who the fuck am I to unlawfully seize his/her legally owned & carried firearm. Particularly in the event they tell me they're carrying it. If they mean me harm with the firearm they aren't going to tell me they have it in the first place. I do ask people if there are firearms in the vehicle, and proceed as if there are regardless. Those people who are carrying normally leads to a pleasant conversation about what they're carrying, why they chose that gun, etc.

Add to that the fact that accidents are most likely to happen when & during the manipulation of firearms....it's just a bad idea. It might be a model of firearm the officer isn't familiar with, etc.

There are officers who disarm every time, no matter what, but most don't. I get irritated if I ask about firearms & they lie about it, and I then find out later on. FWIW.

"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." - Oscar Wilde

"A nation can survive fools, even ambitious ones. But it cannot survive treason from within. . . ." - Cicero

Posts: 1315 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your responses. I do respect police officers. And understand they don't have an easy job. Toddt

Posts: 133 | Location: enfield ct | Registered: January 23, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Big_John
posted Hide Post
I'd be very tempted to tell him that there are no weapons in the car, even if there are. As far as I'm concerned, it's none of his business. I've no intention of harming anyone, let alone a LEO, unless my life/safety are in jeopardy. Why should I cede that safety to him? Because all cops are good?

Just my take, though I've never had that question posed to me by any cop.[/QUOTE]

Just my take, though I've never had that question posed to me by any cop.

Posts: 136 | Location: Washington | Registered: May 22, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Big_John
posted Hide Post
Double post

Posts: 136 | Location: Washington | Registered: May 22, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been stopped while carrying and I had my hands on the wheel and advised the officer I was carrying. I handed the weapon to him as he instructed. Everything went smoothly. Traffic stops are notorious for being very dangerous. The officer most likely does not have the slightest idea who you are. Lie to the officer and if he later sees the weapon I suspect you will be in for a rather unpleasant experience. Don't be stupid - just my thoughts.

Posts: 312 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 24, 2007Report This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big_John:
I'd be very tempted to tell him that there are no weapons in the car, even if there are.....

I don't think it's ever a good idea to knowingly lie to a LEO when you're pulled over.
In the two states I routinely drive, one requires you to notify LEO's when you get pulled over and one doesn't.

I always show my cc permit along with my dl and insurance papers and let the LEO take it from there.

I don't carry to protect myself from cops...

Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Building high performance custom homes on beautiful Smith Mt. Lake, VA
www.PDandM.com

Posts: 3006 | Location: SML & OBX | Registered: February 19, 2013Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by counselor:
I have been stopped while carrying and I had my hands on the wheel and advised the officer I was carrying. I handed the weapon to him as he instructed. Everything went smoothly. Traffic stops are notorious for being very dangerous. The officer most likely does not have the slightest idea who you are. Lie to the officer and if he later sees the weapon I suspect you will be in for a rather unpleasant experience. Don't be stupid - just my thoughts.

Did you drop the mag and eject the chambered round before handing it over? Handing someone a loaded gun seems very stupid.

Shut the **** up, Donny! V.I. Lenin. Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov!

Posts: 7409 | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by counselor:

I would never ask someone to hand me their firearm. Just too much that can go wrong. Rarely if ever did I disarm someone who was carrying legally.

posted Hide Post
After I told him I had a weapon he asked where it was, I advised it was in a holster on my right hip, he asked me where my wallet was - in my right rear pocket. He asked me to slowly withdraw the handgun and place it on the dash - which I did. He placed it on the top of the cab and we proceeded with the traffic stop. We ended up talking about guns more than anything else. He gave me a warning and away I went. I just think lying about the weapon, particularly when it is on you or near you (instead of being in the trunk) is a very dangerous idea and may open you to arrest - if nothing else for providing false info to a law enforcement officer.

Posts: 312 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 24, 2007Report This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
counselor- how was your gun returned to you, after being placed on top of the vehicle? Or were you given specific instructions afterward?

Posts: 6877 | Registered: November 14, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Unnecessary handling is stupid and dangerous. If you were planning on shooting a cop does he think you'd tell him you were armed?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can do it your own way, if it's done just how I say."

Posts: 6104 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Depends on the state, and the circumstances.

I very, very, very rarely do it. Never have done it, and probably never will (I don't like absolutes) in an instance where the person stopped isn't going to be asked to exit the car.

Here in MO, you are not required to inform, but we will see it when we run your DL. So we will know anyway. I always APPRECIATE people who do let me know.

As yet, I have never even written a ticket to someone who has informed me except for a traffic accident where the ccw holder was at fault and I pretty much had no choice because their violation caused the accident.

GENERALLY, i find that people with CCW permits are better behaved than others. Again, generally. I've arrested a few and gotten their permits revoked when they have done terribly stupid things.

Kevin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KevinCW,

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 31404 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin. It is good to hear from l.e.
And hear some of their perspective. I like the idea of letting l.e.know. But don't think the handling of firearms roadside is very safe...

'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
It's 50/50 on whether I inform or not. As far as the officer wanting to remove my weapon during the stop, that's his/her choice and if it speeds up the process have at it and send me on my merry way.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3104 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Report This Post