SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Michigan Constitutional Carry Bill Hearing May 10

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Michigan Constitutional Carry Bill Hearing May 10 Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
Looks like we are finally getting some traction on permitless carry here in the Great lakes State.

Rep. Triston Cole's Constitutional Carry (One Six Carry after Article 1 Section 6 of the Michigan Constitution) will be heard in the House Judiciary Committee at 2:30 on Wednesday May 10. This hearing was set up just for thi sBill and expect it to fast track to the House floor. Call your Rep if you live in MI and ask them to support Constitutional Carry.

The Bills are HB 4416, 4417, 4418 and 4419


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10430 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Hearing was cancelled due to the death of a member of the MI Legislature. Likely to be rescheduled for next week.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10430 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Any update on this?


________________________________________

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
 
Posts: 13914 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
They took testimony last Tuesday but did not vote. Third time tomorrow on the schedule. I believe it will pass out of committee.

Additionally, provisional CPL's for 18-20 year olds passed out of Senate Committee.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10430 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Out of committee and onto floor for a vote!!!!
 
Posts: 537 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Passed the full House today! On to the Senate.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10430 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Assuming it passes the Senate, any insight on whether governor Snyder will sign it? He seems like a bit of a wild card when it comes to guns...
 
Posts: 733 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Brad,

Assuming it passes the Senate, any insight on whether governor Snyder will sign it? He seems like a bit of a wild card when it comes to guns...



Depends on how much of a send off kiss he wants to give to Calley in his run for Governor. My hunch (maybe fantasy) is that Snyder takes an out of state trip if it passes and the Lt. Gov gets to sign it. Snyder can say he would have vetoed, Calley gets solid pro gun chops.

But in reality, if Snyder has it explained ot him correctly and MSP whispers in his ear that they are OK with it, he signs it. Nothing really changes other than those without a CPL can now put a layer of cloth over their guns and they can carry them loaded in or on a vehicle.

We still will have universal background checks (via pistol purchase permits or CPL's)for handguns. You still will need a CPL to carry on the property of any business with a liquor license (even gas stations and WalMart) and in banks. Pistol Free Zones will still be off limits to concealed carry with or without a permit and Open Carry in PFZ's will only be legal if you have a valid CPL.

I could see Snyder signing it when he understands all of those things.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10430 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Given those limitations I would imagine many people would continue to renew their CPLs for the sake of convenience, so the revenue aspect shouldn't see a huge drop off.
 
Posts: 733 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
Money.. They are going to lose money, and since Snyder decided it was a good idea to tax pensions to bring in more money, I would think he would shoot this down


“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” - Thomas Jefferson
 
Posts: 413 | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mossyoak1:
Money.. They are going to lose money, and since Snyder decided it was a good idea to tax pensions to bring in more money, I would think he would shoot this down


In every state where Constitutional Carry has been enacted, there has been no loss of permit numbers. The usual scenario is that for about 18 months numbers level off and then start climbing again.

Michigan also has some solid reasons to have a permit: 1) you are exempt NICS checks for purchases from a FFL 2) you don't need a purchase permit to buy a handgun from a private party 3) you cannot be on the premises of any business licensed to sell alcohol, even those for off premise consumption or in a bank without a CPL 4) you can open carry in the Gun Free Zones with a CPL 5) you can borrow a handgun registered to another person only if you have a CPL and finally, Michigan is the most widely recognized permit in the nation.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10430 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
quote:
Originally posted by mossyoak1:
Money.. They are going to lose money, and since Snyder decided it was a good idea to tax pensions to bring in more money, I would think he would shoot this down


In every state where Constitutional Carry has been enacted, there has been no loss of permit numbers. The usual scenario is that for about 18 months numbers level off and then start climbing again.

Michigan also has some solid reasons to have a permit: 1) you are exempt NICS checks for purchases from a FFL 2) you don't need a purchase permit to buy a handgun from a private party 3) you cannot be on the premises of any business licensed to sell alcohol, even those for off premise consumption or in a bank without a CPL 4) you can open carry in the Gun Free Zones with a CPL 5) you can borrow a handgun registered to another person only if you have a CPL and finally, Michigan is the most widely recognized permit in the nation.


I was never saying that there will be no loss of permit numbers, I'm just saying that in the governments eyes, they are going to try to figure out how they could still bring in extra money if this passes with the possibility of additional laws or stipulations, hence more money.


“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” - Thomas Jefferson
 
Posts: 413 | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mossyoak1:

I was never saying that there will be no loss of permit numbers, I'm just saying that in the governments eyes, they are going to try to figure out how they could still bring in extra money if this passes with the possibility of additional laws or stipulations, hence more money.


Then exactly WHAT were you saying here?
quote:
Originally posted by mossyoak1:
Money.. They are going to lose money, and since Snyder decided it was a good idea to tax pensions to bring in more money, I would think he would shoot this down


How can you say "they are going to lose money" talking about permitless carry unless you are talking about permit numbers dropping? You then go off on a tangent about taxng pensions.

Look, you may not like Rick Snyder. I'm not a huge fan myself. But the Governor didn't extend the income tax to individual pensions over an amount higher than the average Michigan household income. The legislature did that. Snyder just signed the Bill.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10430 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
quote:
Originally posted by mossyoak1:

I was never saying that there will be no loss of permit numbers, I'm just saying that in the governments eyes, they are going to try to figure out how they could still bring in extra money if this passes with the possibility of additional laws or stipulations, hence more money.


Then exactly WHAT were you saying here?
quote:
Originally posted by mossyoak1:
Money.. They are going to lose money, and since Snyder decided it was a good idea to tax pensions to bring in more money, I would think he would shoot this down


How can you say "they are going to lose money" talking about permitless carry unless you are talking about permit numbers dropping? You then go off on a tangent about taxng pensions.

Look, you may not like Rick Snyder. I'm not a huge fan myself. But the Governor didn't extend the income tax to individual pensions over an amount higher than the average Michigan household income. The legislature did that. Snyder just signed the Bill.


What is so hard to understand about money? Everyone wants it, everyone needs it and the government is just going to take it in some shape or form. The common between taxing the pensions and a permitless carry is.... you guessed it money. IF this passes, it would be a miracle.

Don't get me wrong, I am for it. If it passes and you no longer need a permit, then do I need to still give $125 every 5 years to the government to renew my cp.....wait it's permitless now.

I don't know how the bill has been wrote, I'm just a common guy that looks at things a bit different from the average Joe.

As far as a "tangent" goes, I do apologize if you took it that way, that was not my intention. He could have vetoed taxing the pension as well, but he didn't.


“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” - Thomas Jefferson
 
Posts: 413 | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Since the last movement of these bills was June 7, is it safe to say that they are dead?
Thanks,
Rod


We have a President again. Thank God.
 
Posts: 837 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
The President of the Senate, Arlan Meekhof has stated the Governor won't sign them so they won't move. In 7 years the legislature has not once overridden (or even taken a vote to override) the Governor.

I'd call it dead until we have a new Governor.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 10430 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
That's what I was afraid was happening. Thanks for the info, Brad.
Rod


We have a President again. Thank God.
 
Posts: 837 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of JoeSig
posted Hide Post
Thank you Brad - you could kind of smell this coming....current event not withstanding...


JoeSig


Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, Soli Deo Gloria, Sola Scriptura
 
Posts: 336 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: October 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Michigan Constitutional Carry Bill Hearing May 10

© SIGforum 2017