SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Some good news, at least to me.

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Some good news, at least to me. Login/Join 
posted
I bought a gun off Gunbroker. Seller shipped to LGS (FFL) He called when it came in. I filled out the paper work, paid him, and he handed me the box and said thank you. I thought I had to wait 3 days but had an Alabama Pistol Permit so no waiting. New to me.

A question. I want to mail a pistol to my daughter in California. Can I mail it to a local FFL holder or do I have to go FFL ton FFL and pay both ?

Posts: 7 | Location: Auburn, Al | Registered: February 20, 2015Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thomaston:
I bought a gun off Gunbroker. Seller shipped to LGS (FFL) He called when it came in. I filled out the paper work, paid him, and he handed me the box and said thank you. I thought I had to wait 3 days but had an Alabama Pistol Permit so no waiting. New to me.

A question. I want to mail a pistol to my daughter in California. Can I mail it to a local FFL holder or do I have to go FFL ton FFL and pay both ?

Pretty sure it is FFL to FFL only. That is if the pistol is on the approved DOJ roster and can be imported into the People's Republic.

In free states, you can find FFLs that will take guns sent by individuals. In CA I doubt they exist.

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 29395 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I mail it to a local FFL holder or do I have to go FFL to FFL and pay both ?
If you're talking about "mail" as in the U.S. Postal Service, no, you may not do that unless you are FFL. An FFL can mail to an FFL, but a non-FFL individual needs to ship via FedEx or UPS.

While there is no legal requirement for overnight shipping, both FedEx and UPS company policies require overnight shipping, which can get expensive. If your FFL charges reasonable fees for his / her services, you'll probably save $$$ by having the FFL ship via Priority Mail.

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 14439 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about current status but I thought intra-familial transfer wasn't limited to the roster. But I could be thinking of something else.

ETA: this may only apply if all are CA residents. If FFL required for inter-state then not sure.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy

Posts: 5820 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Pretty sure it is FFL to FFL only. That is if the pistol is on the approved DOJ roster and can be imported into the People's Republic.

In free states, you can find FFLs that will take guns sent by individuals. In CA I doubt they exist.

Yup, only FFLs can "mail, via USPS," to each other.

However, the pistol need not be on the CA DOJ roster as it is being transferred down, or up, a bloodline.

Have your daughter locate a knowledgeable FFL who understands Infra-familial transfers to ease the paperwork. She'll still have to pay his transfer fee, but this type of transfer waives the 30-day restriction between gun purchases.

Many FFLs do receive shipments from non-FFLs, it just depends on their store policy...again, the thing for her to do, while looking for an FFL, is to ask.

It may be less expensive to ship via a local FFL, just to save on shipping expense...mine charges $25+ actual postage

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 12872 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information. It looks like FFL to FFL by USPS ot FEDEX/UPS over night . Bit pricy

Posts: 7 | Location: Auburn, Al | Registered: February 20, 2015Report This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:

I sent a rifle to my friend in Cali via a FFL. We talked on the phone to confirm it was not illegal and he sent me his FFL and I sent it fed ex. This is a rifle and not a handgun.

Posts: 8778 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Report This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
he sent me his FFL and I sent it fed ex. This is a rifle and not a handgun.

You could have mailed in via USPS, but as long as you're both happy, all is well

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 12872 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:

It depends almost entirely upon your sister's FFL. Some will accept shipments from non-FFLs, others will not. Before shipping, speak directly to whoever your sister selects and verify their willingness to accept a shipment and to legally transfer it to your sister.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 2994 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Report This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
For whatever reason, the UPS folks locally have wavered on their overnight policy with me in the past. Sometimes it must be sent overnight. Most times, they've let it be done via a 2 day shipment.

I'm awaiting a rifle I purchased on Gunbroker the other day, and the FFL/seller sent it to me via UPS. Their initial estimate shows it will take 3 days to arrive. Unsure what the deal is with the varying time requirements, but I'm all for saving the $$ and getting it a day later.

ETA: Oops, holy thread revival, Batman!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 3956 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Report This Post