SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Glad I don't live in land of fruits and nuts anymore
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Glad I don't live in land of fruits and nuts anymore Login/Join 
posted
Cali gov just signed a bunch of firearms bills including one that requires background checks for ammo. Of course he does not sign any they will help crime rates and gun violence.

Kevin

Posts: 628 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, good Lord, those are terrible. My sympathies to our brethren on the left coast.

NRA Endowment Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Also illegal to possess >10 rd mags. Before it was only illegal to buy, sell, manufacture, import, lend, give, but not possess. So you could have just said, "I found these, officer, just happened to fit my gun".

Posts: 9755 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Report This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
"Here are the measures that Gov. Jerry Brown announced Friday that he has signed:

• Senate Bill 1446, authored by Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley, bans possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

• SB 1235, authored by Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, regulates the sale of ammunition by requiring background checks.

• SB 880, authored by Sen. Isadore Hall, D-South Bay, and Assembly Bill 1135, authored by Assemblyman Marc Levine, D-San Rafael, ban "bullet buttons" that make it easy to detach magazines.

• AB 1511, authored by Miguel Santiago, D-Los Angeles, limits the lending of guns to family members who have not completed background checks.

• AB 1695, authored by Assemblyman Rob Bonta, D-Oakland, blocks people who have knowingly made false reports on the loss or theft of a gun from possessing firearms for 10 years."

The new laws would take effect in January 2017.

New California gun laws

Posts: 9755 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of this looks very similar to new yorks safe act regulations passed a few years ago. A total mess. The state originally planned to use the federal nics system to background check the ammo purchases, but the Feds said no way. They have spent a ton of money to develop a workable system but still have nothing up and running yet.
Happy to report due to this and other issues ( cost of living, taxes etc) as of today I am now no longer a New York resident!

Posts: 1889 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
well, if you are required to present ID and get a check for ammo purchases..they must be tracking the amount of ammo actually in your possession..

got a special number to report when you used said ammo? maybe call the gov's office...or a simple postcard... " purchased 100 rounds...went to range - shot same "

Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I get the intent of the No magazine over 10 rounds rule but I'm confused about the fact that when you bought them they were legal. So are they going to pay you what you paid for these magazines? I assume not so should you be selling them on GB to people in states where they are still legal or shipping them to family members that live in another state where they are still legal.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 8874 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
for the no "loaning" of guns to other than family. What happens to ranges like Target Masters who rent guns?

I really feel sorry for my friends down there. I know one guy who bought a crapload of standard capacity 92FS mags in the early 90's when they could still be bought down there. A lifetime supply. What is he to do now?

it's a damn shame.

Posts: 5937 | Location: Mom's Basement | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
"Here are the measures that Gov. Jerry Brown announced Friday that he has signed:
[LIST]

• SB 1235, authored by Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, regulates the sale of ammunition by requiring background checks.

• That's similar to the IL FOID card, required to own a firearm and buy ammo:

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/FOID.aspx

Posts: 11637 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
    Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
    Picture of Balzé Halzé
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by radioman:
    ... What is he to do now?

Simple. Not comply. No way would I ever turn in or get rid of my magazines. No way. Freakin' commie state.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
    NRA Life Member (Endowment)
    Family, Guns, Country

"My guns are always loaded."
    ~R.G. Justified

What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure.

Posts: 15260 | Location: Out of Jersey, Into Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    "In statements, the National Rifle Association and other gun rights groups condemned the new laws as 'draconian' and 'Stalin-esque', even suggesting that Californian residents consider disobeying them."...

quote:
    "We expect mass noncompliance with these laws and encourage good, peaceful Californians to carefully consider the risks of voluntarily identifying their firearms, magazines and ammunition to law enforcement officials, especially the California Department of Justice," said Brandon Combs, president of the Firearms Policy Coalition. "The government would be wise to remember that there are more California residents with guns than there are government officials to take them away.

New California gun laws

It looks like it may have gotten to that point.

Team Apathy
    Picture of thumperfbc
    posted Hide Post
    My opinion: very very very few magazines will be turned in. Very few.

However, I think the AW registration law will see significant compliance. Sure, there will be a large number of people who won't comply (just like the last one), but, a lot will register their guns. At least the newer ones with bullet buttons, and certainly most of the ones purchased since Jan 1 2014 (when long gun registration went live). Why the compliance? The prevailing opinion is that if my gun will be a registered "assault weapon" per the state than I can legally take the stupid billet button out and use it as designed". Again, any gun purchased since 2014 began is already registered, so there is nothing to lose with those (in the eyes of many).

Posts: 4542 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Report This Post
    Ignored facts
    still exist
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
    quote:
    Originally posted by radioman:
    ... What is he to do now?

Simple. Not comply. No way would I ever turn in or get rid of my magazines. No way. Freakin' commie state.

That's always been a tough balance for me. I grew up with a very strict "obey the law" mindset. Doing anything that is against the law has always bothered me.

I think I'd be too stressed to keep anything in the house that's illegal. No matter how dumb the law. I guess this is why they say gun control only affects the law abiding.

Posts: 5937 | Location: Mom's Basement | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
    Picture of konata88
    posted Hide Post
    When you have PDs and Sheriff offices openly saying that they will not enforce an unconstitutional law, you know how bad the law is.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
    "Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy

Posts: 5633 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
    Objectively Reasonable
    Picture of DennisM
    posted Hide Post
    I grew up in California but moved away in 1990. State gun laws sucked at that point-- 14 day waiting period on handgun purchases, and NFA has always been a no-go-- but have gotten progressively worse since then.

I believe in the rule of law and the Constitution with all its mechanisms. As a career LEO, I obey the precepts of the courts (provided they're not clearly unconstitutional) and enforce the laws enacted by the legislature (provided they're not clearly unconstitutional.) That's what you pay me to do. Like radioman, obeying the law is second nature to me.

Because of geography-- I don't work California and likely never will-- I will thankfully not have to consider where the margins of my duty to uphold the Constitution overlap my obligation to obey lawfully-enacted statutes, even diaper stains such as this one.

Honestly, I think this would have me in the "openly defiant" group. Confiscation isn't in my DNA.

Posts: 1107 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I've got a question for the legal eagles reading this...

Could being required to register be seen as a violation of one's 5th Amendment rights?

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 511 | Registered: February 26, 2015Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have a question for people that are in the know about what's going on. If magazines over 10 rounds are going to be illegal, how is Hollywood going to make all them shoot em up movies?

Posts: 1098 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Report This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by dedguy:
    I have a question for people that are in the know about what's going on. If magazines over 10 rounds are going to be illegal, how is Hollywood going to make all them shoot em up movies?

In previous laws they made specific exceptions for weaponry used in movie-making.

Team Apathy
    Picture of thumperfbc
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by dedguy:

Permits exist for such endeavors... Same for machine guns, short barrel shotguns/rifles, supressors, yada yada yada. I've often thought about turning in the application for such devices but decided I'd be better off throwing the application fee in the fireplace.

Posts: 4542 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Report This Post
    Picture of az4783054
    posted Hide Post
    There's always an exception for Hollywood, celebrities, athletes...and themselves.

When life gets stressful, put down your firearm and play with your Barbie.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post