SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Ninth Circuit Rules We Have A Constitutional Right To Open Carry For Self-Defense
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ninth Circuit Rules We Have A Constitutional Right To Open Carry For Self-Defense Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted
Whoa: Ninth Circuit Rules We Have A Constitutional Right To Open Carry For Self-Defense

Matt Vespa Matt Vespa | @mvespa1 |Posted: Jul 24, 2018 1:45 PM

The Ninth Circuit is one of the most liberal courts, and the one that gave the Trump White House heartburn over its executive order on immigration. But even a blind squirrel finds a nut. This court recently ruled that we have a constitutional right to open carry in public for self-defense (via Reuters):

A federal appeals court ruled on Tuesday that the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment protects a right to openly carry a gun in public for self-defense, rejecting a claim by Hawaii officials that the right only applies to guns kept at home.

The extent of the right to gun ownership protected by the Second Amendment is one of the most hotly contested debates in the United States, where life has been punctuated by a steady stream of mass shootings.

The ruling issued by a three-judge panel on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, based in San Francisco, came a year after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to rule either way on the carrying of guns in public.

[…]

“We do not take lightly the problem of gun violence,” Judge Diarmuid O’Scannlain wrote in Tuesday’s ruling. “But, for better or for worse, the Second Amendment does protect a right to carry a firearm in public for self-defense.”

link

So, does this mean I can carry in California now? Wink Big Grin

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been a very interesting month this far.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did I miss the news that hell froze over?

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great news. Unfortunately, I don't think this decision will survive an en banc review by the full ninth circuit. If that happens, SCOTUS might get an opportunity to hear the case. Or refuse to hear it.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
so when will I be able to open carry in Hawaii?!

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeking a better POTUS, and doing it elsewhere
posted Hide Post
I'm sure in the end it will be handed off to each state to allow gun carry as they see fit. It may at best push for them to issue permits if citizens pass a federal background check and not allow them to unreasonably withhold permits... Maybe.

Posts: 34 | Registered: March 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post