SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Do you take ANY action to try to preserve our rights

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Poll Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Do you take ANY action to try to preserve our rights Login/Join 
posted
Im very curious as to what percentage of Gun enthusiasts take some form of action to try to preserve our gun rights.
This could mean sending an email, making a phone call, basically ANY action where you try to make your voice heard. Based purely on what I see and hear in the media I am surprised we have any gun rights left at all. There are twenty pro gun control articles and opinions offered for every one pro gun opinion.
Wondering if that could because we just dont make ourselves heard.

Question:
Do you as a gun enthusiast take Any actions to let your lawmakers ( local , state or federal) know that you support the second ammendment and gun rights in general ?

Choices:
I have emailed or called a lawmaker/gov't rep at least once in the last year
I have emailed or called a news media representative at least once in the last year
I take action to make my voice heard as often as possible
I take no action and I just hope my gun rights wont be taken away

Posts: 38 | Location: NJ | Registered: April 26, 2016Report This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Long time firearms rights activist here. Testified on dozens of Bills in our state legislature. Know my reps on a personal level and my MOC. The wife and I have traveled to several other states to work on gun policy.
As a county commissioner, I wrote and had passed an employee policy to allow county employees with CPL's to carry at work. I have an NRA A rating as a candidate.
Just got a multi county agency to remove a pre-empted policy against the public bringing guns into their properties and to rescind a policy prohibiting employees from legally possessing firearms on company property.

Posts: 10085 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Your poll isn't very good. There are lots of things that you can do that don't involve the things you listed. Worse than that, most of what you have listed are worthless, and at best ceremonial. Most politicians are one way or the other. The emails, and calls they never see, and some low level staffer pops out a reply. It makes about as much sense as arguing with someone on the internet. But, people do it. Why? "I gots to do something?". That sound familiar?

Where the action needs to be taken is at a grass roots level. Taking new people shooting. Educating on gun safety at each an every turn. Being an Ambassador of the Second Amendment, not an activist. Be active in the shooting sports. Get people involved in the shooting sports. Be involved in a local, regional, or national pro-gun group. If you can't, donate.

Sending letters to your elected officials on a national level is ceremonial. Real action takes place elsewhere. Making my voice heard is worthless. Making our voice heard to others is what that is important. And you make our influence and voice heard by educating for future elections.

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011

"There are only two reasons why a proven technique doesn't work under stress: the shooter isn't adequately trained in it's application, or he/she doesn't really believe it will work because he/she is programmed for failure to begin with." BG

Posts: 28924 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Jerry, spot on.

Best thing I do is teach others and help get new shooters involved in IDPA.

Posts: 2572 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Report This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Your poll isn't very good. There are lots of things that you can do that don't involve the things you listed. Worse than that, most of what you have listed are worthless, and at best ceremonial. Most politicians are one way or the other. The emails, and calls they never see, and some low level staffer pops out a reply. It makes about as much sense as arguing with someone on the internet. But, people do it. Why? "I gots to do something?". That sound familiar?

Where the action needs to be taken is at a grass roots level. Taking new people shooting. Educating on gun safety at each an every turn. Being an Ambassador of the Second Amendment, not an activist. Be active in the shooting sports. Get people involved in the shooting sports. Be involved in a local, regional, or national pro-gun group. If you can't, donate.

Sending letters to your elected officials on a national level is ceremonial. Real action takes place elsewhere. Making my voice heard is worthless. Making our voice heard to others is what that is important. And you make our influence and voice heard by educating for future elections.

This.

I've turned a dozen or so friends from "guns are scary" to "hey man, what do you think of my new holster?" And those were the hard sells. I've long lost count of how many people over the years I've encouraged (successfully) to broaden their gun collection, join the NRA or BFA, etc., etc.

It helps if you're approachable and not militant. Invitations to the range work wonders.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

posted Hide Post
I think that our state associations may have the greatest leverage. So, for myself, I support the TSRA PAC.

Posts: 227 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I give money.

Posts: 5927 | Location: Mom's Basement | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I talk to my representatives face to face.

posted Hide Post
While the emails may or may not do much on the national level, they are certainly effective on the local and state level. I have had personal correspondence with my reps.

Keep it up, even if they don't answer, they still notice them coming in.

Posts: 54 | Registered: September 12, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sent Al a note revealing my detest for his gun policies.

He's getting back with me later. Roll Eyes

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 3877 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Report This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about e-mails, so I don't send any. I send letters and postcards. Yes, postcards. I buy them by the dozen, pre-stamped and plain on both sides. In fact, the most replies I've received have been in response to the post cards. I'm not certain if the elected official actually sees the correspondence but I'm confident they see some summary or condensed versions of comments sent.

Also, my wife and I do some volunteer work in the community which often leads to contact with local officials and on occasion state and federal officials.

I believe we need to be as active as possible on all fronts possible.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Since our elected ones are elected based on the most votes, you have the best voice when you are part of a group that promises (or removes) the most votes.

Nationally, that is the NRA (and they'll send you plenty of postcards to send to your elected ones).

Locally, you probably have a group affiliated with the NRA, or some type of grass-roots group that lobbies the state house. The ILA of the NRA is also good for this, since they are the ones that actually go out work with legislatures on laws.

Joining a club is also good. Mine recently sponsored state legislature members to come shoot silenced rifles so that they could see the advantages of making silencers legal for hunting.

Be Well and Keep Your Rifle Clean
Picture of mrmn50
posted Hide Post
I am a regular contributor to the MN GOCRA

"..AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC,...SO HELP ME GOD."

Posts: 20064 | Location: Czechtown,Minnesota | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I haven't in 2 years, but today, I sent in my renewal for the NRA.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 31264 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

and this, in spades.

From talking to folks who do not have the same ideas of the second amendment... The absolute worst thing you can do is be a loudmouth douche... That turns people off.

Be a positive ambassador.

Take a person shooting, be it for fun, sport or whatever.

When you have a conversation about the issues always ask yourself "Am i helping the cause or hurting the cause?"

I see and hear some idiots spouting off political nonsense or worse thinking they are "helping." They aren't. Be a good ambassador. Period.

I was at a local gun club as a guest a few weeks ago. A member there came up to one of the people I was with and started talking, and overheard me talking about work... THen they made some very stupid comments that made me not want to associate with them anymore... That was a textbook example of someone who was a shitty ambassador. Don't be that guy.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 31264 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post