SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    What has happened in the NE where AR guns were banned ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What has happened in the NE where AR guns were banned ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
What the heck is going on up there ? I haven't heard much in a while.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Life goes on.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Uh, which state?

Here in MA, we still have plenty of pre-ban ARs, and we could have new ones until the dirtbag AG flexed in 2016.

Meanwhile, sales of bullpups, M1As, and everything non-AR are strong.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I thought one or more states in the NE had banned all traditional AR type rifles. I hope I'm wrong.

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Where in the US are you?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Virginia. A free state turning blue.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Virginia. A former free state turned ing blue.
FIFY

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
NY has a straight out ban on anything with one evil feature. No pistol grips, threaded barrels, muzzle devices of any kind, or anything else. Also, maximum magazine size is ten rounds unless it's C&R or a tubular 22lr. C&R magazines can hold more than ten rounds, but you can only load ten. Anything old enough to be on the C&R list can be registered, along with it's magazines.

posted Hide Post
As a former New Yorker what happened there is a very small number of rifle owners (a few competitive shooters who needed to stay above board due to frequent use and transport of rifles, cops and some
Other government workers who were pressured by bosses) registered full featured rifles.
Estimates are that close to a million people said screw you and did not register. There was no grandfathering of modern magazines holding over ten rounds either.
While there are plenty of tin foil hat people out there, in reality the powers that be simply do not have the resources or manpower to “go after” people after all how will they know who has what hidden in the barn or basement.
New York law is purposely vague to confuse and shed doubt in the gun owners mind exactly what is or is not legal regarding rifle configuration.
Before moving while some friends put rifles underground ( both literally and figuratively)
What most did was sell things not legal and bought a suitable substitute.
Gun owners always figure a way. My last couple years before moving I shot a few three gun matches and my rifle was an M1 Garand- fully compliant with the law and pretty effective. It did do more damage to some of the targetry than the match directors anticipated however

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks cap.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
VT hasn't banned them yet, but I may be moving in that direction. CT isn't New England, unless you meant Northeast, by NE. CT is along the lines of NY I believe.

Vermont just passed the first gun control ever in the history of the state and certain elements in the legislature have made it clear they want to push for more and I'm sure an ban on "assault weapons" is high on the list.

They just knew they could get it passed and would forfeit the entire effort if they went for the brass ring.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
VT hasn't banned them yet, but I may be moving in that direction. CT isn't New England, unless you meant Northeast, by NE. CT is along the lines of NY I believe...

Just a point of order. Technically New England is the six state region which includes Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island.
New York and a few other states are part of the NorthEast but not part of New England...

I grew up in NH...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Connecticut borders NY, MA and RI. Has always been one of the 6 New England states.

NY, CT and MA are all aligned similarly in regards to draconian gun laws/bans/

NH and ME are generally Pro-Gun/2A friendly.

VT and RI are in "flux" - some Pro 2A folks but the border infestation from Massachusetts is tilting tings to the left now.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Ct has banned ARs after 2016. No Black center fire pistol grip type rifles. Pre ban loop hole appears to be closed. AR type rifles needed to be registered as well as hi cap magazines.
Ct has banned most assault rifles by name prior to 94 ban-Colt HBAR, HK MP5, etc.
Yet , silencers are legal.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Captain127 summarized the current status in NY pretty well.

There was a strong and vocal grassroots movement that arose from the unSAFE Act, but when we failed to oust Cuomo from office and the special council investigating his criminal activities was pushed to the sidelines all hope of a repeal was lost. I voted with my feet.

Today, more legislation is expected and Cuomo wants to take his message to the Oval Office.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by burnetma:

There was a strong and vocal grassroots movement that arose from the unSAFE Act, but when we failed to oust Cuomo from office and the special council investigating his criminal activities was pushed to the sidelines all hope of a repeal was lost. I voted with my feet.

Today, more legislation is expected and Cuomo wants to take his message to the Oval Office.[/QUOTE
I voted with my feet as well. As it turns out the move could not have gone better- Arizona has constitutional carry ( though having the very easy to obtain CCW permit gives you reciprocity with about 35 states acts as a nics check when obtaining new guns and allows you to carry into places that serve alcohol)
Class three if you want to bankrupt yourself, lower cost of living, lower taxes, better weather and between the wife and I our income increased by about 50k annually.
I haven’t even been back to visit friends or family. I tell them rather than step behind enemy lines again,come visit me (hoping many will see the advantages and join free America

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by burnetma:

Today, more legislation is expected and Cuomo wants to take his message to the Oval Office.[/QUOTE
I voted with my feet as well. As it turns out the move could not have gone better- Arizona has constitutional carry ( though having the very easy to obtain CCW permit gives you reciprocity with about 35 states acts as a nics check when obtaining new guns and allows you to carry into places that serve alcohol)
Class three if you want to bankrupt yourself, lower cost of living, lower taxes, better weather and between the wife and I our income increased by about 50k annually.
I haven’t even been back to visit friends or family. I tell them rather than step behind enemy lines again,come visit me (hoping many will see the advantages and join free America

About sums it up.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
NY has a straight out ban on anything with one evil feature. No pistol grips, threaded barrels, muzzle devices of any kind, or anything else. Also, maximum magazine size is ten rounds unless it's C&R or a tubular 22lr. C&R magazines can hold more than ten rounds, but you can only load ten. Anything old enough to be on the C&R list can be registered, along
with it's magazines.

NJ is not far behind.

In December, magazines will be limited to 10 rounds. While not yet banned, the evil black AR is in the States sights. They will go after all semi-automatic firearms most likely next year. Last week the NJ supreme court knocked down the case to keep 15 round magazines legal.

Depending on where you look, NJ is considered a NE State or a Mid-Atlantic State.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeking a better POTUS, and doing it elsewhere
posted Hide Post
And yet there are things in NY like not needing to tell a officer you are carrying and being able to carry in places that serve alcohol that are more lenient than some southern states.

Posts: 34 | Registered: March 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loungestx:
And yet there are things in NY like not needing to tell a officer you are carrying and being able to carry in places that serve alcohol that are more lenient than some southern states.

As always, we all need to get out and VOTE

Posts: 436 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post