SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Washington State I-1639
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washington State I-1639 Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm sure it's all a misunderstanding, a glitch of some sort, whoopsies!

In any case, I done my bit.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
The Washington Arms Collectors put out these two issues (Sept. & Oct.) to their 17,000+ members:

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RE: I-1639

Vote early and vote often, NO on I-1639. I live in the Seattle area, I am pro-2A, and I vote. (Yes, I have voted !) I have been writing emails, posting signs, have bumper stickers, etc.. However, I have the sick feeling that this pile of dung initiative will be passed by the gullible citizens of Washington state. However, there will still be hope, due to the cockamamy and illegal petition signature gathering method that was done contrary to state law, this initiative will end up being declared null and void. If not for this valid reason, then for the seeming myriad of other reasons why I-1639 is akin to trying to fly a plane while building it.

Moulon Labe.

Posts: 6 | Location: Seattle area | Registered: November 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Mixed feelings tonight...

Looks like this crap is going to pass, still hope for legal challenge I suppose.

On the bright side, I’ll be the proud new owner of that M1A I’ve been dreaming of for the past 5 years.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Right? Maybe I'll finally pick up a Garand, or gather my shekels to splurge on a FAL.

quote:

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the margin was not even close. It's was a bleak day yesterday, that's for damn sure. Now onto the courts...again, I guess.

Another blatant example of the Californication of Washington.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry guys Frown

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well. That alone made for a disheartening evening. When I first checked in, it was nearly 70-30. It dropped to 60-40 before I packed it in for the night. I didn’t want to sound defeatist, but the way they worded the bill pretty much guaranteed that they would get the votes to pass it here amongst the brainless libs.

Time to sell off toys like my ass is on fire to get the scratch to snag a SCAR.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Well. That alone made for a disheartening evening. When I first checked in, it was nearly 70-30. It dropped to 60-40 before I packed it in for the night. I didn’t want to sound defeatist, but the way they worded the bill pretty much guaranteed that they would get the votes to pass it here amongst the brainless libs.

Time to sell off toys like my ass is on fire to get the scratch to snag a SCAR.

Just keep claiming it's for "safety" and the waterheads will pull for it every time.

quote:

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, as I said on the Waguns forum thread on it, I realized that these simpletons will vote for every fucking gun bill initiative that makes it to ballot. I'm not into "freedom by committee." I fled New York state more than a decade ago to get away from this exact kind of bullshit. You're a native and have a lot more skin in the game, but this is how you lose conservative nomads. I guess I need to move to Oklahoma or Kansas or some place in the heartland that is rabidly pro 2A.

Not a happy camper today.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Kansas just got themselves a commiecrat governor that hates guns. Moving out to the sticks of a Red State isn't a guarantee of freedom anymore. The anti-liberty coalition is spreading out, they can't live in the holes they've created, so they move out, and start fucking up everything else, into their image of Utopia. It's a brave, new world, and it smells like goat shit.

quote:

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The Seattle liberals are getting my wife and I considering moving the 15 miles into Idaho. We are in our 70's, lived in the state our entire lives and lived in our home for 37 years. Our side of the state voted almost 100% red, but it means nothing. 10 years ago it would have been unthinkable to us to even think of moving into another state. Very sad!! Mad

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
This is why I left the state a few years ago. I saw the writing on the wall. Go look at the voting area results diagram of the state. All of the votes for I-1639 came from the left wing liberal corridor from Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle and Bellingham. These areas control the whole of Washington State.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
And so it begins...

https://www.king5.com/article/...i-1639/281-612370549

The really sad part is now that the dems are solidly in control in Olympia, in about 8 weeks, 1639 is just going to be the beginning...

All this could have been avoided if more registered voters simply would have taken the whopping 5 minutes to fill out their mail in ballots (that they probably threw away instead).

BOSS

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
And so it begins...

https://www.king5.com/article/...i-1639/281-612370549

The really sad part is now that the dems are solidly in control in Olympia, in about 8 weeks, 1639 is just going to be the beginning...

All this could have been avoided if more registered voters simply would have taken the whopping 5 minutes to fill out their mail in ballots (that they probably threw away instead).

BOSS

That's assuming they were registered in the first place, wouldn't want to get called for jury duty, after all, right?

quote:

I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

That's assuming they were registered in the first place, wouldn't want to get called for jury duty, after all, right?

Per the Sec. of State stats, 53.4%, or 2.3M voted. That means roughly 2M did NOT vote. Right now, 1539 is passing by about 520K votes. So had of some of those 2M non-voters spent the 5 minutes to return their ballots, this might have a very different outcome. But that's the past, water under the bridge.

Update

Looks official, there's only 1,128,858 evil, stupid 'gun nuts' in WA.

Good thing 1639 won't effect too many law abiding citizens or anything. Roll Eyes

BOSS

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Boss1,

A real life Sisyphus...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.seattletimes.com/s...asses-at-the-ballot/

Gun sellers expect sales bump after Washington voters approve new rules

Gun sellers say they expect more sales of semi-automatic rifles and possibly gun safes since voters said yes to Initiative 1639. But it’s too early to know just how significant the increase might be.

Originally published November 10, 2018 at 7:00 am
Updated November 10, 2018 at 5:18 pm

By Heidi Groover
Seattle Times staff reporter

The phone at Wade’s Eastside Guns started ringing at 8:30 a.m. the morning after the election.

“The response to this is always classic,” said owner Wade Gaughran about Tuesday’s decisive passage of Initiative 1639, one of the country’s most stringent sets of gun regulations. “People will buy guns to beat the deadline.”

Starting next year, Initiative 1639 will raise the purchase age for semi-automatic rifles to 21, the age currently required for handgun purchases under federal law. People buying semi-automatic rifles will be required to pass an enhanced background check, prove they have taken a firearms-training course and wait 10 business days to take possession of the gun.

The initiative also authorizes the state to require gun sellers to add $25 to sales of semi-automatic rifles to fund the new regulations. A “safe storage” provision makes it possible that gun owners could face criminal penalties in some instances if their firearms are accessed by someone who is not legally allowed to have them, like a child or felon, and who then causes the gun to discharge or uses it in a crime. The provision doesn’t apply if the gun was secured with a trigger lock or similar device or if the owner had reported it stolen within five days of the theft.

Washington state voters approved new gun regulations in I-1639. Here's what the law will do.
Gun sellers expect sales bump after Washington voters approve new rules
Gun sellers who spoke to The Seattle Times said they expect an increase in sales of semi-automatic rifles and possibly gun safes, but it’s too early to say just how significant that increase might be.

“We have seen an uptick in sales since the passing of the law and expect it to continue,” Jody Lewis, owner of Rehv Arms in Covington, said in an email.

Two days after I-1639’s passage — and the day after a gunman in California killed 12 people, then himself — staff at Wade’s tended to a steady trickle of customers. Behind the counter, the wall was lined with an array of semi-automatic rifles that will be affected by the new law. A customer picking up an AR10 he had ordered a few weeks earlier called I-1639 vague and poorly written. Above the door, a sign asked customers in bold black and red letters: “You just bought your gun. How do you plan to LOCK IT UP?”

“We will see people speed up their gun purchases,” Gaughran said in an interview earlier that day. “[Buyers will say] ‘I’ll buy the next year or two of my gun budget in the next few months just so I can bypass this law for as long as possible.’ ”

Tallman Trask, a spokesman for the Alliance for Gun Responsibility, which advocated for the initiative, said his organization acknowledges that new regulations can sometimes lead to increased sales but argues I-1639 will not lead to any “onerous restrictions” on gun purchases.

“What it really boils down to is people are a little unsure of how to respond to new regulations and they go out and buy new firearms,” Trask said. “It’s unfortunate.

Gun dealers said they’re also awaiting clarity from state regulators on certain elements of the new law, including the training requirement. Gaughran said his store may develop a “quick test” to administer at the counter or online.

The law states buyers must show they’ve completed a “recognized firearm safety training program” in the last five years that covers issues like handling, storage and suicide prevention. The training must be sponsored by a law-enforcement agency, college or university, nationally recognized organization or firearms training school, according to the law.

Whatever uptick in sales local gun sellers see from I-1639 could be tempered by national trends. Nationwide, the election of Donald Trump had reportedly caused an ongoing slump in gun sales.

Jason Cazes, owner of LowPriceGuns.com in Bellevue, said he increased his inventory in anticipation of a Hillary Clinton presidency.

“Here’s what drives sales in the gun business: the possibility of regulation coming or fear in the world,” Cazes said. “This summer was the worst summer I’ve ever had in sales.”

In Tacoma, Bruce Smith, manager of Surplus Ammo and Arms, said he’s seen a small increase in business and questions from customers since Tuesday’s election, but “it hasn’t been crazy because it’s not federal.”

“Everyone knows or is pretty inclined to think that under Trump there is probably not going to be federal legislation, so it’s going to be a state-by-state thing,” Smith said. “The panic isn’t there. The stress isn’t there.”

Information from the AP and The Seattle Times archives was used in this report.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
No, nothing too onerous...just annual lifetime background checks and HIPPA waiver for life, mandated training every 5 years for life, raising purchase age 3 years...nope, nothing onerous there.

And they d@mn well there more in the pipeline in a few months. They're right , comparatively speaking 1639 may be tame to what's undoubtedly being proposed behind closed doors.

And yes, how unfortunate... People still exercising their rights Roll Eyes .

Don't worry, as the deadline gets closer, and folks start cluing in better, sales will probably accelerate.

As to the dealers, if they haven't offered training in the past, unlikely that a quick countertop training session is going to meet with the proponents' 'expert, enlightened' approval. Way too convenient, which isn't the intention.

But make things problematic and risky enough, and alot of folks will just say screw it. Alotta folks out there with enough AR's etc. that'll just be content with what they have, build their own, and or buy various uppers. Or go outta state.

WA needs to get proactive, and ASAP. It isn't enough to sit on the sidelines and think $20 donations to the NRA is gonna stop this momentum they're building.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I will be buying a shiny new $1500 M1A that I have hemmed and hawed about for the past few years.

Passage of this shit is getting me off the pot and making it happen before 1/1.

Oh, and I will be buying it from out of state FFL so the gov won’t get a fucking nickel off the deal.

I will probably splurge on another 3K-5K rounds of ammo as well in advance of bullet taxes or other restrictions. That should make me set for my remaining time in this God-forsaken state before my post-retirement exodus.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I'm a little confused. I thought the majority of the law went into effect on July 1st (how appropriate, *barf*), it's just the age restriction starts on January 1st? So those of us over 21 have until July to acquire such deadly fully-semiautomatic assault gats as the evil Marlin Papoose, right?

quote: