SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Future legal restrictions on “sniper” rifles and scopes? What would they be?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Future legal restrictions on “sniper” rifles and scopes? What would they be? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Yes, this question is really a gun control issue, but that section doesn’t get much attention, plus the members who frequent this section are more likely to be attuned to the issue I’m raising.

What is your assessment of the likelihood that bolt action rifles would become the target of antigun efforts in the US? And if they did, what would be the claimed rationale(s) for the efforts—other than just that they are guns and all guns are equally bad?
At one time I saw reference to “sniper” (bolt action) rifles in private ownership and the implication at least was that they were a menace to society just as semiautomatic rifles are commonly claimed to be today.

And if some possibly temporary sop would be offered to the countless owners who use their rifles for hunting, how would hunting rifles be differentiated from “sniper” rifles? I can think of a number of features myself that would distinguish between the two, just as many jurisdictions have attempted to describe “assault” rifles based on their features, but I’m curious what the rest of the membership thinks.

Closely allied to the rifles is the issue of scopesights. We already have many sights and even more innocuous accessories that are subject to ITAR restrictions, so could we see something similar domestically? Could we expect to see restrictions on smart sights for hunting? (Colorado, for example, restricts the use of illuminated reticles for hunting.)

(This question isn’t, BTW, about my personal anxieties, so although I appreciate your concern, I don’t require any reassuring words of the, “There, there; everything will be okay,” sort. It’s simply a question of how a ban on precision rifles and accessories might be justified to the public and what it would involve.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think they would target "evil looking sniper rifles" first, ie ones with the latest tactical looking stocks, bipods, pistol grips, and adjustable stock portions. Threaded barrels, muzzle brakes, flash hiders, detachable magazines, etc, etc

If they had the gumption to look at scopes, evil features would be adjustable turrets, illumination, and other tactical features. Laser rangefinders, NVDs, etc, etc.

Anything that makes it not look like a simple bolt action, wood stocked rifle with a glossy fixed power scope.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Leftists raising the issue might be one way to engage the idiots that equate the second amendment to hunting rights. The ones that think targeting “evil rifles” as opposed to traditional hunting guns.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would not surprise me if the libs frame restrictions as LEO safety issues, claiming the HIGH POWER rifles fire bullets that will PENETRATE POLICE BODY ARMOR.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they start with calibers. First .50bmg (nobody needs that for hunting), then .338LM (same) then any of the .3xx magnum ones. Then the smaller ones. Backed on top of that would be 5 rnd mag restrictions so the removable mag bolts (think MRAD)go by by. Then no removable.
Lastly they could then do the whole registration thing on certain equipment (like high power scopes),NV, etc. etc.
It doesn't seem too hard since they are willing to confiscate AR's house to house. The facts that they sweep a few hunters into the mix certainly isn't going to bother any of these people.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Let's start with: You look down one end at something at the other end that might indicate where a shot would go. That shouldn't be legal. Duh. Yeah, right.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will fall under the typically ignorant "common sense" arguments. Why does anyone need a rifle that can shoot out past 1000 yards? Nobody hunts at those distances, they'll say.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's why we must oppose every little law in every way.
If "give 'em an inch - they'll take a mile" was ever more evident in our 2A rights it is here.
YES, even the 'bump-stock' ban was wrong even though we ALL know it is not a serious product.
Nevertheless they keep trying.
Now any bolt action is a Sniper Weapon. Roll Eyes

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I think they start with calibers. First .50bmg (nobody needs that for hunting), then .338LM (same) then any of the .3xx magnum ones. Then the smaller ones. Backed on top of that would be 5 rnd mag restrictions so the removable mag bolts (think MRAD)go by by. Then no removable.
Lastly they could then do the whole registration thing on certain equipment (like high power scopes),NV, etc. etc.
It doesn't seem too hard since they are willing to confiscate AR's house to house. The facts that they sweep a few hunters into the mix certainly isn't going to bother any of these people.

More or less, this has been my thought as well. The uber evil "high powered" .50 pick-your-flavor caliber will be the focus of anti-gunners first (after they check off their wish list on higher priority items such as a ban on so-called assault weapon), with the caliber and feature dominoes falling from there.

Years ago I recall watching some sort of gun control hit piece on TV, in which video of a jet airliner took off while the narrator mentioned that the .50 caliber sniper rifle was capable of bringing down a passenger jet. Roll Eyes

Possible...perhaps...but likely, no.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Any other thoughts?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
It doesn't worry me too much because I'll be dead by the time they get there. But some thoughts:

1. All semi auto firearms. The caliber doesn't really matter much to them.

2. Military calibers.

3. Handguns.

4. Hunting guns regardless of the caliber. Then require a current license to continue ownership.

5. Along the same path, any target weapon unless the owner can demonstrate he's active in target shooting.

6. Any firearm used by a military anywhere in the world. First, surplus guns, but followed quickly by guns patterned after evil military guns.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My response will be the same, regardless of their fucked up logic and potential restrictions.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
The anti-gun advocates want to end all rights to a firearms. They start by chipping away at "assault weapons" but that is just a starting point. Confiscating all guns form civilians is the goal. Next up disarming law enforcement for "pubic safety."

Disarming convicted felons who possess guns and use them in criminal activity by incarcerating them is not on the liberal's agenda.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1530 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Hunting rifles will be rebranded as "Sniper Rifles."

NUTS!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Real long range sniper cartridges: 50 BMG, 338 magnums from various manufacturers and 300 Win mag. Obviously, there are lots of other long range possibilities.

What will they try to ban? ARs, especially things like varmint rifle.

Bill

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: June 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Hunting rifles will be rebranded as "Sniper Rifles"

I remember years ago There was a proposed law which would have classed scoped rifles as sniper rifle and thus illegal. I do not remember if this madness was federal or at a state level. I wish I still had some of my issues of the American Rifleman from the late sixties. They showed two pistols that would have been classified as Saturday night special under proposed legislation. One was a S&W model 14 with a 6" barrel, the other a single action army with the 4 5/8" barrel. Hardly small or cheap firearms even back then.

Tony.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering most modern bolt action sniper rifles are in fact accurized and rebuilt hunting rifles (Winchester 70 and Remington 700) It's going to be interesting to see how the left differentiate between them.

Then let's consider many of the greatest bolt action rifles in history (Springfield, Mauser, Lee Enfield, etc.) are now C&R antiques. Banning 100+ year old antiques as if they are suddenly deadlier then they have already been for a century is really stretching it.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bumping this thread back up; I had forgotten I’d asked it. To reiterate, it’s not based on anything I know or am anticipating at this time, but my original question of “What would they do and how would they justify it?” is still one I think about from time to time.

I sometimes think we shouldn’t be giving those people any ideas, but then I remind myself that they really don’t need any help in coming up with outrageous proposals.

And this was a very prescient comment from last December. A comment about an article in The Wall Street Journal this morning was that the police should not carry guns, but that that would work only if no one else had guns either, so the obvious solution is to disarm everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
The anti-gun advocates want to end all rights to a firearms. ... Next up disarming law enforcement for "pubic safety."

6.4/93.6

— Plato